Tubal Ligation or Mirena

Hello moms....
I want to tie my tubes because 1 child is enough for me. Anyway I was wondering is that a surgery or in office procedure? I really dont want to have a surgery...and I was thinking the Mirena. I dont know much about either...Does the mirena have any side effects? Does it really stop your periods? I have really bad PMDD and I was thinking that would help it....any input you guys have would really help.

Thank You
Austin, Texas

Boog723

Asked by Boog723 at 11:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Health

• They are completely different procedures.
    The main difference is that Mirena is a hormone-based IUD that is inserted into you to help prevent implantation. It does have a lot of side effects that you should be aware of before making a decision. There's been a lot of controversy lately about hormone replacement, so if you're seriously considering it, you should talk to your OB/GYN to make sure you understand all the risks.
    Here's the website: http://www.mirena-us.com/
    You should read the Patient Information (small icon on the top of the page): http://berlex.bayerhealthcare.com/html/products/pi/mirena_patient_insert.pdf

It has a lot of information about what the FDA has approved the product for as well as people who should not use it and possible side effects. I've heard more bad stories than good, but I have not used it personally - just work in the pharmaceutical industry and trying to share information.
    Good luck!
    DanaDWeb

Answer by DanaDWeb at 11:05 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• A tubal ligation is surgery.
    Mirena may not be your best choice either. I've read a lot of complaints and side affects of it lately. You may want to research your options more thoroughly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I had IUD's after my 2nd and 3rd kids, and after having my 4th baby I just had my tubes tied. It is a surgical procedure, but it is not all that bad. Recovery was not bad either, I was fine after a couple of days. Get an interview with an OBGYN to talk about your medical history and which form of long-term birth control is best for you. I am not sure how either IUDs or a tubal ligation would affect PMDD.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• If you get the Mirena please google horrible side effects to it.
    Im not saying mirena isnt good for some people however for some people like me my body rejected it horrible.
    My doctor who put it in said nothing but good things about it and neither does their website. So when I started having my problems I started googling mirena side effects and stuff and found that I was not alone . Just beware of putting anything foriegn in your body ,
    tinamswank

Answer by tinamswank at 12:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• U can get the essure if u are certain u don't want no more kids. Talk to your doctor about it ,no surgery, it is done in the doctor office.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 12:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2010