How can i tell if my dog is pregnant?

I have a 2 year old yorkie-shih tzu mix, and a 1 year old male yorkie.
The male is constantly on the female, but never seemed to be "doing anything" to her.. he is less than half her size.
Well i havent noticed any behavioral changes , but a couple of days ago, she was laying belly up, and I noticed her (for lack of better word) nipples were huge and dark looking, i tried feeling her belly, but i dont know what to feel for. She is/has always been a little over weight, so i dont know if I would be able to tell... any advice, suggestions?

FYI-- I have an appt. with the vet, but it isnt for another 2/12 weeks, and I really want to know.

o0o_Alleigh_o0o

Asked by o0o_Alleigh_o0o at 2:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Pets

• small dogs are hard to tell, until their pups are big enough you can see them moving around. the enlarged, darker nips can be a good sign, but false pregnancy can be somewhat common in dogs. the only sure way is take her to the vet and get an ultrasound done. call the vet and ask him if he can bump up the apopintment, or put you on a cancellation list. good luck!
    Anonymous

• we had a cat and if you have a stethoscope sometimes you can hear the little heartbeats, other then that you'll either have to wait until you bring her to the vet or she gets fat [lol]
    Tayleina

Answer by Tayleina at 4:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• My Chihuahua's nipples never got dark when she was pregnant, but they did when she was in heat. I can't speak for your dog, but easily, just have her taken to the vet.
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 11:29 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Have you ever seen them hook up ? If you have then yes she prob is and thats around 63 days gestation . But if they have never hooked up then she may have false pregnancy my AB had a false pregnancy her last heat they have all the symptoms of pregnancy but no babies you can google it .
    Mel

Answer by Mel at 6:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• She has to go into heat. She will start to swell up down there and then after that she will start to bleed. I think it was 2 weeks after my dog started to bleed she excepted the male dog to mate with her. They did it for the first time on march 15th and then she had pups on may 14th. Good luck.
    Tamara_Fisher

Answer by Tamara_Fisher at 5:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Try this I had to do this and she was pregant and I even did it for my brother in law and sister in law. Squeeze the nipple of Momma dog and if a clear liquid comes out she is pregant, and if it does not than try again in a month or so and see again. Both times I have done this both momma dogs had puppies. Good Luck
    busy_mom41

Answer by busy_mom41 at 8:22 AM on Jul. 26, 2008