Anyone Else Afriad of Giving Birth?

The clinic that I go to said to watch birthing videos to get used to the idea so I'm not so nervous, but the more I watch, the more freaked out I get. I'm not due till the end of summer, but I keep having nightmares about it. I've had a lot of complications with this pregnancy and am completely freaked out!

aprilmitchell82

Asked by aprilmitchell82 at 11:29 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yes it hurts like hell am not gonna lie. i have done it twice. but once u see the baby you forget about the pain
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:31 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• well.. god knows why they say that, this is my second pregnancy, and when i watch birth videos now, they scare me even more, and i've been thru it,. DONT WATCH! dont get used to the idea.its enough its gonna be all u think about that day, dont keep freaking out, besides, take an epi n u should be fine if the pain is gonna freak u out. and about the nightmares, i still have nightmares about it, itz part of pregnancy my friend. just relax, trust me, u'll feel a lot more comfortable. just be glad its not the old days and we have pain killers these days. i was in labor for 2 days with my first with absolutely no meds! it was pure hell, but i lived to tell the story, but i'm much more relaxed now, i used to freak out like u with my first, it just gets u no where.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I was SOOOO afraid. I cried and told my mom i changed my mind. I cant do this!!! She laughed and said she did it 4 times NO Drugs so I kept thinking about that. It isnt near as bad as people say it is. It is like anticipating the flu. and watching barfing videos..no its not fun but you will be fine. They have people there to help you and its only 1 day..then you 4 get all about it. I would do it again for sure.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• yeah in my first pregnancy early on I didn't like internal exams (WHO THE H&<< DOES??) and my ob told me he was writing in my file to be sure to give me an epidural in labor. I told him to be sure to answer my questions that's what would calm me down.
    lol.

Ask doctor's your questions, have them ahead of time on a small pad of paper. Having those questions with you, you should also be able to ask questions about anything in a visit too. Maybe ask partner or some other trusted person to go to visits with you to help you understand what's said and done and directives.

Prayers for you mommy for a safe pregnancy and delivery!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:34 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I've given birth 3 times, coming up on a 4th. It really isn't so bad. The more worked up and worried you get, the worse it is. I recently watched a birth video and it was horrifying. I promise you, from the other end, where you will be, it's not nearly as disturbing as being a 3rd party watching a video of someone else giving birth.

Your labor is worse if you are tense, scared or panic. My last one was the easiest thing in the world, but for some reason I have it in my mind that it wasn't. My husband has to keep reminding me how easy it was and how well I did.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• My last childbirth I turned into a demon.told my huband he did this to me and I would never do it again.cussed out the nurses and doctors.That was long time ago, and we laugh about it now.but at the time I was out to kill someone.
    That doesn't mean you will be that way.If you relax nature will kick in.You will know what your body is telling you to do(like when you need to push and stuff).
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 11:36 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Oh, sweetie, put the videos away. It does NOT make people less afraid to watch them. I was afraid of every birth. I had complicated pregnancies too. Learn how to meditate or pray.....and know that you will be fine. It's perfectly normal to be afraid. My friend who has 13 children was afraid before each birth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I actually look forward to it. I love watching birth videos, I love the awesome natural high, I love that I've been given the privilege of bringing another child into the world. I'm sorry you're scared, the videos without KNOWLEGE are worthless. Get into a childbirth education class, that will help take the fear out of it for you :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:39 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Stop watching the videos! You basically know what to expect, and watching it over and over again is not going to make you more prepared. I think you'll come to terms with your fears before the time comes...at least that's how it happened for me. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I am pregnant with my third, I never took pain med to give birth, I think our body was made to with stand labor pain It make me feel like a super hero when pushing,I do scream but I know the pain would not kill me, I think natural birth without med you get your baby faster because the pain make you push, Both of my kids came within 2 hours of my induce labor don't be afraid .
    Gabbyandbellamo

Answer by Gabbyandbellamo at 11:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2010