At what age can I take my baby out in public?

My husband thinks that our soon to be 5 month old is not old enough to be introduced to the public as in taking her to the store with us. I am pulling my hair out fighting about this issue with him. I think she will be fine. It isn't like everyone in the store will be holding her. I need help!

buffymoore

Asked by buffymoore at 11:42 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think my son was a month old when he started taking him out to stores. I couldn't picture going five months. That's a long time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I started taking my daughter and son out at about a week, my mom in law took my husband out at 8 hours old, i think it all depends on your family life style, and when you are comfortable. we are firm believers in being outside, but others are not, we are meant to be outside. But like i said its all a matter of what you are comfortable with. Go with what you feel
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 11:44 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• your dh is an idiot no offense i took my kids out to the store the day we came out of the hospital!! they are still alive.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:45 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I agree. He's an idiot.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:46 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• At 5 months, it's perfectly safe to get baby out of the house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• We had to take our daughter to wal mart on the way home from the hospital! She came 10 days early & we had no diapers yet. My husband was hopeless with that kind of stuff at the time so we had to stop there on the way home with her. So, yeah, she saw wal mart before she even saw her own home! Lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I took my first out when she was 5 days old. You can take them out in public as soon as you want.
    Anonymous

• does he plan on keeping him in a bubble forever? or what? doesnt he know that exposing them to germs is good for their immune system
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:47 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• My Sweet-Pea was going to Super Walmart with me at 2 weeks!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 11:47 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I was out five days after birth.
    If you want to go out go out!
    If you are worried about germs, just don't let people touch the baby. A sling/wrap works great for this since people are les inclined to invade your personal space.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:48 AM on Mar. 3, 2010