9 y/o with cell phone

we are getting custody of our 9 year old niece..She is staying with my MIL -- who got her a cell phone ( just because neice asked for it) ....I think its ridiculous. She texts her birth mom ( whos a druggie ,and isnt suppose to have contact with her) , after my MIL found out who she was texting she just let it go...but when she lives here she isnt going to have contact with her...but the thing is, she is going to be moving to a new town and a new school... would it be fair to her to take it away ? And is it fiar to us that we have to pay the bill

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No its not fair you have to pay the bill. You didnt buy it for her, so take it away.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Her mother will always be her mother, druggie or not.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:55 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• You can block the mother's number and I'd change the phone number. You could always get her a tracfone or something like that where she won't be able to run up the bill.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• You will be raising her so you have all of the say so! If you don't want her to have it, take it away.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:57 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• gaill -- no she isnt, she hasnt raised her a day in her life, when my neice was born addicted to drugs and she signed her rights over -- the only time she visited is when she wanted money from my MIL... no birthday calls, no christmas calls, no nothing... when she texts her she has neice ask MIL if she can come stqay for a couple days or have some money ... thats all.... so no gaill, she might have given birth to her ( actually she wouldnt push until they gave her something stronger, than what she was already on) ...but she is no where near her mom
    Anonymous

• No, don't let her have the cell. Sorry about her mom though, because she is going to love her mom no matter what.
    Anonymous

• sorry but when it comes to her birth mother it is a sore subject she has seen her maybe 5 times in her life ( and pretty much everytime she was messed up and didnt know what was going on) and when we looked at the texts, the ONLY thing that they said was ask grandma if I can come stay or ask grandma if I can have a few dollars...that is seriously all she is sent her......Neice doesnt call her mom, and says she doesnt love her but I think she just got excited about the phone ...the last time the BM was there is when she started texting her ....she usues it alot for the games and stuff...which i dont think you have to pay for that ( right?)

I guess i just feel bad because I guess she is losing her life to start another and its like I am taking away her favorite "toy"
    Anonymous

• MIL still has to pay for it. You don't have to let her use it. Who cares if it's fair. It's your call. Take the phone. She's 9 for Pete's sake!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Sorry, but a 9 yr old doesn't need a cell phone.
    It is causing problems in terms of contacting the birth mother.
    You are going to be stuck paying for a bill you didn't agree to from the start.
    Hand it back to the MIL and tell her that you won't be responsible for the cell phone while your niece is living with your.

As for Gaill.....not every woman that produces a child is a mother and this one obviously is not!!!
    Anonymous

• I think 9 is a bit young to have a cell phone. It is not like she is the child of a single parent or a latch key kid. I see no reason to let a 9 yr old have a phone. As for the mother, I would be careful. If she is not supposed to have contact with the child, then you need to proceed through the proper leagal channels. Do NOT be the one to cause a rift between this child and her mom. She will only hate you for it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2010