What do you say to a friend that has just lost thier job?

I feel terrible and am not quite sure what to say...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You tell them to start looking for another one.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Say you are sorry. Perhaps check on them later to make sure there is enough food in the house. If there isn't invite them over for dinner.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• "Wow. That sucks. I hope you find a new job soon"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Gee Sara I guess the person would be too stupid to figure that out....I bet your friends are so greatful for your stellar advice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Sara, I am curious - is that how the people in your life treat you? Is it a way of life in your circle of friends and family to kick each other when they are down? Or were you just trying to be funny? That sort of rudeness for no reason makes me feel sorry for you that you have never known compassion and are unable to give it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Sorry Op, I didn't mean to ignore your question. I agree with the above: "That really stinks. I hope something better comes along quickly. Is there anything I can do?"

When my friends or family get some bad news (like loss of job, or the loss of a loved one) I like to send along some food too. At least dinner for one night is one less thing for them to worry about.

Best of luck. I hope this economy turns around soon.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Tell them how sorry you are and offer any help. I think inviting them over for dinner frequently is a nice idea. When my dd was a newly wed we would sometime use a magnet to put a 20.00 bill on the fridge for them to find later. None of us ever mentioned it to the other but I know they appreciated it.
    Anonymous