Is there a superstitious belief against throwing a soldier a going away party before they leave on deployment?

I want to throw a friend a going away party, but my husband thinks there may be a taboo there. This particular soldier is white, cajun and catholic. Does anyone know?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I dont think there is either...my brother is in the Air Force we had get togethers before he left -- but both times was also for his birthday lol ( 1st time was the day after his birthday, the 2nd time he left 3 days before his 21st ) ... actually to think of it....His first time he got realy sick and this last time he was in Hawaii when the tsunami was suppose to hit ( he was suppose to come home that day) ...so at first look you would think that was kind of a bad thing, but then again the tsunami didnt hit and he came home the next morning....

I kind of believe in superstitions....but I would still throw him a party...in case something does happen, wouldnt you want him to have a fun time with family and friends, and to also remember him as having fun
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I just think the idea is stupid. It's not exactly a time for a celebration when there is the possibility that he won't be coming home. Personally, when my husband was deploying, I made him a nice dinner the night before and we spent as much time as possible together with our daughter. I think a party is going overboard when this guy should be spending as much time as possible with his family.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 12:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Never heard of such a thing. I'm white, catholic, and italian.
    Anonymous