example visitation schedule for toddlers

My son is 21 months old. we live in california. My son's father did lived with us for 11 months but did not help what so ever, got home late woke up late, etc. he made threats of abuse regarding our son by now denies it in front of judge. I would take ds over there a few times a week but i supervised. Now i have asked him to visit at our home, when ever he wants just give me a days heads up. He only sees son now like once or twice a month telling the judge that it is because he is uncomfortable at my house. I asked for supervised visitation leading to unsupervised following the schedule that he originally chose, two week days for an hour each and sunday for two hrs. he is asking for every other day 6pm to 6pm. Our son is afraid of him. what will the judge set up as visitation? i am really scared for my son's safety and well being.

Jnc91

Asked by Jnc91 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I do not believe any judge would ever agree to the schedule he wants! It is way too much for a toddler to be switching homes every other day!
    Anonymous

• You live in California and aren't breastfeeding. You can expect joint legal and physical custody and split time between homes. What's worse is if you make more money than the father you could end up paying the father support.

Whatever happens the best thing you can do for your son is make the transition as easy as possible.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I can't believe any judge would think that a child, no matter the age, switching homes every other day is reasonable! I live in NC, have school age children and their dad has a standard every other weekend, 1 evening/week schedule. If you don't have any substantiated reasons for him to have supervised visitation, you probably won't get that. I know that in NC I had the right to request an in-home evaluation of both my ex and myself in our homes, with the children, so the social worker could see how we acted with the kids, and how they reacted with us. Maybe they have something similar in Cali?

Answer by missanc at 12:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2010