Cardio help/ slim without the bulk?

I've started losing some weight due to eating healthier, portion control and exercise. I've lost 7 pounds so far. I do usually about 36 min of cardio a day. I understand that muscle helps burn more calories so I was wondering what excersise I can do that will help me lose the weight I want and not turn all my fat into muscle and look like a cave woman. I would like a nice tones body though so I wont mind some muscle! I'm not sure what to do. Should I do more cardio each day or what? Any help would be appreciated thanks!!

Morgan.

Asked by Morgan. at 12:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Unless your built like a cave woman (body structure that is) your not going to look like one. Keep up with the cardio and do some strength training.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• It takes hours and hours of hardcore training to get the muscular look you're talking about. Ain't gonna happen without lots of dedication and devotion.

There are tons of websites that can help you learn all kinds of resistance training exercise, both at home and at they gym. Sparklepeople.com has a great workout section. So does 5min.com(it's a site full of 5 minute videos to teach you just about anything you can think of).

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 12:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• like the pps said, you don't need to worry about bulking up, for this you need levels of testosterone that you most likely do not have! if you have access to a gym then a good weight workout every other day would be good. you could do cardio every other day, and the weights every other day. a neat and easy to follow workout routine is body for life...it has a diet plan as well. there are pictures of how to do the weights. i found it helpful. gyms have strength training classes now too. pilates is awesome for toning as well!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• You need to add in some resistance training (weight training). Resistance training helps to build and define muscle and increases the metabolism, which helps with weight loss.

Women don't usually get big and bulky with weight training because it's extremely hard for women to achieve a muscly physique. Female body builders work extremely hard, far harder than the average person, and adhere to a strict sport specific diet. Most of them likely use supplements as well. So it's extemely unlikely you'll ever get bulky.

Fat does not turn into muscle. They are two entirely different tissues.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:16 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• You actually don't even need a gym. You can do a lot with resistance tubing, a few weights and your own body weight. You can get home work out videos that focus on muscle strengthening using minimal equipment.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:23 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• pilates along w. the cardio would be fantastic for you.
    jenniamigo

Answer by jenniamigo at 8:02 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I do Jari love Ripped dvds - its weight training - just because you do weights does NOT mean you'll go all bodybuilder. you have to tone and use the muscles to make them look lean and mean. lol

and the cardio

check out sparkpeople for sure, its a GREAT site with tons of info.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:06 AM on Mar. 4, 2010