When can I expect my period to return after I stop breastfeeding?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• mine didnt start until six months later but I think it always varies, ask your doctor.
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 12:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Usually within 6 weeks of stopping breastfeeding
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Depends on when you start ovulating. For some women, that happens while breastfeeding, for some it happens when breastfeeding is cut back (starting solids, mom goes back to work, etc.), for some it happens when breastfeeding stops, for some it doesn't happen for months afterward. There's no set "normal" to it. It happens when it happens. The most you can do is try birth control or something to get it jump-started. Or just wait, but there's no telling how long.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• There is no answer to this question. I EBF my first 2 babies, but had a period starting 6 weeks post partum that was regular every 29 days. Some women don't start until months after they wean. Every woman is different.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2010