Extremely stubborn ear infection. Anyone else?

We've gone through a round of omnicef, After his first rocefin injection his ear drum burst overnight, two more shots, and now his other ear is "horrible" and the Dr still cant see his ruptured ear drum to verify that it did burst. I'm at my wits end with this. the Dr gave us an ear drop to help with the pain, but he's almost out and its $110. I'm starting to think it may be something else. Does anyone have experience with different types of ear infections? DS is 13 months

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son has had a time with ear infections too, after several rounds and not alot of improvement the Dr sent my son to see a allergy and sinus Dr. My son has bad allergies to mold,grass and trees. 3 things I really can't do anything about. We have not had any issues since. But he is on 3 different meds a day to keep everything under control. Once the meds stop working we will have to go to shots. I would ask you ped about allergies also.. My son is 8 now and he really didn't have any of the typical signs of having allergies.. Maybe a ear, nose, and throat Dr might be able to help also.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Ear infections that won't get better can be a warning sign of genetic immune deficiencies. I have a genetic immune deficiency disease called CVID and all 3 of my sons have it and my 17 mo grandson. If a child has 2 warning signs then testing is indicated.

10 Warning Signs of Primary Immune Deficiencies

1. Eight or more new ear infections a year
    2. Two or more serious sinus infections a year
    3. Two or more months on antibiotics with little effect
    4. Two or more pneumonia's within a year
    5. Failure of an infant to gain weight or grow normally
    6. Recurrent, deep skin or organ abscess
    7. Persistent thrush in mouth or skin after age 1
    8. Need for intravenous antibiotics to clear infections
    9. Two or more deep seated infections in 1 year
    10. A family history of Primary Immunodeficiency Disease
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Just took my 18 mo daughter in for her third shot... this double-ear infection has been recurring for over a month... it seems to partly clear up and then we end up back in the office 2 weeks later. I have an appointment with the ENT for her very soon... have you gotten a referral yet? I'm hoping she'll be a good candidate for tubes. She's had 9 infections since 9 months.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• We had a horrible ear infection once with my son, finally they cultured it and it was a YEAST infection in his ear! Get them to culture it AND have the doctor check him for autoimmune problems...specifically have them do an A1C to check his sugars. Long or lasting illnesses can be a sign of diabetes.
    Anonymous