6 month old with a cough

any at home remedies to ease the symptoms of a sinus infection? im pretty sure thats what it is. he is the size of a 12 month old. he wears 12 month clothes and weighs 20lbs. thanks =]

mommykayti

Asked by mommykayti at 1:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you think he has a sinus infection, you need to take him to the doctor, not try to treat it yourself. Size doesn't matter. Call the doc.
    Anonymous

• Please take him to the dr. RSV is going around really bad this year. My 2 month old was hospitalized with RSV just a few weeks ago. When I took her to the dr, I was sure it was just a cold that would run it's course. Babies this young should always be seen by a dr for a cough.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• im not trying to treat it. i want to ease the symptoms. he has an appt with his doc in a few days. i want something to help him until then.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 1:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• In a few days? Sorry mommy, you need to get him in in the next day. The longer you wait the worse it will get. There is nothing safe to give a baby that young to ease symptoms - a drop of breastmilk or saline up the nose to soften snot and a snot sucker, maybe a tiny bit of tylenol, but nothing OTC is safe for babies.
    Anonymous

• You can take your baby in a warm shower with you. You don't have to let the shower hit the baby. The moisture may help the mucus thin. Taking the baby in seems to help better than just sitting in a humid bathroom.

RSV can get bad quick and I can understand why the other moms are concerned. It's usually formula fed babies that get ill enough to be hospitalized. The younger the baby, the worse it is. A 6 mo is at less risk than a 2 mo. Also a 6 mo can also tolerate being formula fed better.

I hope your baby is better soon.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• a few days? you cant get him in sooner? when my son was 6 months old, he had a cough, it sounded flemmy, and it was bronchillitis. something that can cause asthma. he had to be on a nebulizer. the DR said we got him in just on time before it got really bad.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2010