At what age did you start potty training your son?

My son will be 1 on the 16th but he seems to be a little advanced, he crawled at 5 months and walked at 8 months...Seems to be doing everything a little early...Do you all think it would be too soon to try to start potty training...He has started bringing me diapers when he has wet his diaper, so I think he knows when he is going...What do you all think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well my son crawled at 6 months and he's 2-1/2 and not ready yet.. We have tried charts and underpants and suckers and cheerio's and did a dance which apparently scared him instead of making him excited..lol!! But at 1 he loved to HELP me and bring me eveyrthing he knew the name too.. I think its a bit young for potty time but you can try it
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I don't think it has much to do with being "advanced" or not advance, intelligent or not; however, I also am of the fairly unpopular belief that most kids can potty train before two. Basically, the school of thought that believes in child-led training will tell you that you have to wait for a certain number of "readiness" signs to be met... then the potty is introduced slowly, taking special care not to "push" the child and backing off whenever any resistance is met, for fear of creating conflict around the potty, etc., etc. In truth, I think if this approach is used, it is true that many kids aren't "ready" until age 3 and some boys until later. I am of another school of thought. Kids can be trained to use the potty like they can be taught to do anything else. It may take more effort in the first few days to train earlier (though I found it to take much less as compared to my friends training 2.5-3 year-olds), but (cont'd
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:22 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• (cont'd)... it can work well. It requires a different attitude and a different process. For us, potty training was letting our daughters know that she was expected to use the potty from that day on, and lovingly and supportively helping her achieve success. We didn't discipline and were not afraid of psychological trauma, we were just consistent and firm in our actions. Here are some blogs/journals/articles that chime in with my perspective, if you're interested. You do have some time to consider the question... but definitely don't believe everyone who says there's no point in trying with boys until age 3, even if they tried with their boys earlier, etc.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kirsten-dirksen/who-decides-when-to-potty_b_265227.html
    http://blog.cleveland.com/classychaos/2009/02/politics_of_potty_training.html#comments
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/4235060/3_Day_Potty_Training_Post
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• You can potty train whenever you want to. We started around 18 months, but he's almost 3 and just finally got the hang of it last week. Some boys will pt early, some won't til later - there's a little boy in my DDs class (2nd grade) who is supposed to be a year older, but wasn't allowed to go to K on time because he wasn't potty trained. If you have the time and patience, there's nothing wrong with starting now. My son was getting his own diapers & whatnot around a year too but it took this long to get it.
    Anonymous

• I started at 18 months and though he still has accidents about once a month, he is potty trained. He turns three in July. But I had alot of advantage with staying home all day long, and the desire of wanting to trim out the pull-up cost from our expenses :)

What I did was place a potty, he picked out, right across from the one I use. When ever I went, he would sit too if he wanted. Or if he had to go, we would get books and read them while he tried. If in ten min nothing we got off and put back on the pull-ups. It took a few months and a load of patience, but soon he was wearing dadundaduns like a big boy :)

momofcali3

Answer by momofcali3 at 6:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2010