Anyone have any tips for taking a pacifier?

My son will be 1 soon and I was wanting to take his paci but he is really attached to it? Any help?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well, i did the cold turkey approach and just threw them all away and told him he's a big boy now, etc. but i have heard of some people who like to do it a little more nicely and put them in a box and have him help you send them to babies who need pacifiers..... but you have to think of a whole story about that and it's much easier to just throw them away imo lol. but either way, when they realize they're all gone and not coming back and you're not gonna buy them new ones, you'll be really shocked at how fast they get over it. my first son was really attached to his and i threw them all out and he only cared for less than a day and he was fine.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Wait until they are about 3. Most experts agree it won't do any dental harm up until then. You don't want to breastfeed and get them hooked it's no fair to take them away.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• my twins are almost 2, i just started yesterday limiting their pacis to nap and bedtime only. they seem fine with it for the most part, but if dd gets hurt or is told no, she will cry for her paci.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• i have done this at 9 months
    is only let my daughter using when she taking nap and slowing stop using over all..
    only when she is taking nap and in the bedroom nothing outside or around the house
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• cold turkey. my brother-in-law told us to cut the tip of the paci so our son wouldn't like it anymore this only made him mad. One day I searched the house for all of the pacis and in the trash they went. My son never asked for them. They want it when they can see them. " Out of sight, out of mind."
    JDalila

Answer by JDalila at 6:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• i moved and forgot to bring them to the new house and that night he cried a little and forgot all about them the next day. so i would guess cold turkey. it might seem mean but it works.
    hottmama2023

Answer by hottmama2023 at 12:36 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Prob cold turkey my daughter is almost 4 and still uses them all the time. The older they get the hardest it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Mar. 4, 2010