Would you have answered the door?

I am a SAHM to a 3 1/2yr old. The DH is gone most of the day @ work leaving me home alone w/my daughter. I don't like to answer the door during the day while DH is away...especially if a man is knocking. Today, a man came to the door. I did not answer. He knocked a couple of times, then left for his truck. I saw him go to his truck & take out a ladder out of the back. He then walked w/the ladder between mine & my neighbor's house. Literally a minute or two went by when he returned to the truck w/the ladder & then left. I have no idea what he was doing & didn't want to go outside to ask. There was no logo on the truck & the whole incodent lasted only minutes. Because it all went by very quick, I didn't have time to even think about getting a license plate #. DH is mad @ me b/c I didn't go ask him what he was doing.

My ? is, would you have gone outside to ask? Did I do the right thing by staying inside?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I can see why you didn't answer the door. But I would have gone out and asked him what he was doing to my house. Do you rent or own? If you rent you could call the landlord and ask if they sent someone out.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I would have answered the door in the first place and then he would have told me what he was doing. He probably wanted permission to between your houses to do whatever it was he had to do.

My front door is rarely ever locked and in the summer it is wide open all day long along with the windows. We aren't afraid of strangers here.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• well i always answer the door bc i don't like people milling about in my yard so i like to see what they're about and then send them on their way. my hubby is also working most of the time and i am here with my 4 1/2 yo, 2yo and 5mo. i never felt unsafe about opening the door, but if i feel like it's a sales person i just talk to them without opening the door (we have windows on either side of the door). maybe you could just put a chain on your door so that you can open it on a crack to talk to them and see what they want but it would make you feel a little safer, or if you have a window in or on side of the door you could talk to them without even opening the door. i would have definately asked them what they wanted though.....
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• i would definately gone and asked what he was doing. you definately should have, and if you are feeling insecure, keep a weapon on you, like a bat, or keep the phone on you for 911
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 2:03 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Your husband has no right to be upset with you. You were being protective of yourself and your child. I would not have answered the door for the same reason. But I also would have written down every little detail I could think of, cause I'm like that.
    Shlamoof

Answer by Shlamoof at 2:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I don't answer the door if I'm home alone during the day, either. I would have called the neighbor and asked them if they knew who had a ladder between your houses. I think you did the right thing by staying in the house.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I probably would have answered the door, but I am rethinking those kinds of decisions lately with the increased crime rate here on base. I used to live out in the country though where doors were left open all summer long, never locked at night, and nobody thought twice about it because everybody knew everybody else. I sure wish we still lived in that kind of town, in that kind of time.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I would have answered the door - or if I missed the door I would have at least opened a window and hollered out, if not gone out with my phone in hand, to ask what he was doing.
    Anonymous

• And I'm a SAHM of 4.
    Anonymous

• I can understand why you were afraid to answer the door, but I would have found out what company the man was from and what he wanted. I would have answered the door with the phone in my hand, and only opened it a few inches to speak with the person and see some identification.
    Anonymous