"When a child hits a child, we call it aggression. When a child hits an adult, we call it hostility. When an adult hits an adult, we call it assault. When an adult hits a child, we call it discipline." — Haim G. Ginot

i wasn't sure what this was saying about spanking a child.... i had to re-read it a couple times, lol.

so? if you agree w the saying i guess that means you DO NOT spank? right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Tru Dat! And while we are on the subject, why do we kill people to teach people who kill people that killing people is wrong?
    Anonymous

• i do agree. i would never spank my children. i think its abuse and it teaches violences and traumatizes them for life.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• That is a great quote. Seriously puts it in perspective.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Spanking a child and hitting a child are not at all the same things. The implication of this saying is that one should not spank a child, when in truth, it is the most effective form of discipline ever invented. The key to it, like so many other things, is doing it with the right intention, with the right attitude, and with the right knowledge of what you are doing and why. I fear some folks will never understand that.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• "When a child hits a child, we call it aggression.Yes, because they are hitting an equal. When a child hits an adult, we call it hostility.Yes, because they are hitting someone in authority over them. When an adult hits an adult, we call it assault.Yes, because it is with intent to harm another. When an adult hits a child, we call it discipline."Yes, because done correctly it can be a valuable teaching tool. A good parent knows how and when to spank and doesn't use it needlessly. — Haim G. Ginot

Anonymous

• I have to say that I believe that there is a thin line between beating and spanking. I also teach that hitting or agressive behavior is not an exceptable action or form of communication but I also believe that there are times that spanking is the correct action. Like if it is a response to an action that can harm them and you and you have tried time and time again to correct by talking and time out. I do not agree that others should blame you for children in society that are out of control because you support spanking at appropriate times. Think back, before gov. stepped in that was the form of disipline and now that things are turning to time outs we are seeing that children do not respect society or their family like it used to be. Also just because you believe in spanking (not beating) does not mean your child will grow up as "an out of control kid" there is more to that out come like their life and surroundings.
    Anonymous

• I love this quote!!!! Hitting a child as a form of discipline is done with the intent to hurt or why else would a person do it? Duh hitting hurts!!! How would you like to be small and hit on? I think spanking is a form of bulling. Not teaching a child right from wrong. Thanks for sharing the quote!!

AidensMamma858

Answer by AidensMamma858 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I love how people try to justify spanking by saying its not the same as hitting. spanking is striking, striking is hitting. Its all the same thing, regardless of what your intention or method is. Discipline is about teaching our children. Hitting doesnt teach them anything other than how not to get caught next time, and that bigger person has to the right to hurt the smaller person.

mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 9:00 AM on Aug. 18, 2010