Going to the pool with a little one

My husband and DD and I are going to meet my parents at a resort that has a large indoor water park, complete with several calmer walk-in kiddy pools. My daughter will be 4 months, is this too early to introduce her to the pool/water if we stick to a very calm shallow area?

Asked by muptgirl23 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would be concerned about the risk of infection. If the baby is healthy and breastfed then it may be ok on days that aren't real crowded.

Answer by Gailll at 2:08 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• My son was in the ocean at that age. Not sure if that makes a difference to you , but, yeah at 4 months he fell asleep in the little baby float. LOL

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Honestly I do not think so. Just watch water in the ears. Otherwise I believe the sooner you get them in the water the quicker they will adapt and the less fear they will have.

I hope they have a great time.

Answer by mommy2each at 3:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I'd be worried with such a young baby in a public pool like you describe. Those places are germ factories, unless they have tons of chlorine to kill them enough. Do you really want your 4 month old in that (they do absorb chlorine through their skin). The reality is your 4 month old won't get anything out of it, it will all be for the fun of the grownups to see the baby in the water. I'd put my 4 month old in the ocean long before I'd put them into a public pool.

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:07 PM on Mar. 3, 2010