When should your child be able to wipe themselves w/o supervision?

My daughter's been potty trained for a while, but I always wipe her. She is 2 1/2 and will be going to preschool, where I assume they expect her to do it herself. She is really small for her age so I'm not sure if she'll even be able to get on the potty! Thanks for any help!

meg613

Asked by meg613 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Most daycares have kid size toilets so her climbing up shouldn't be an issue. My middle son wipe on his own as soon as he was potty trained at 2.5. I remember distinctly my 4.5 year old nephew telling me to "wipe my butt!wipe my butt!" ...to which I just had to laugh.
    I would start teaching her to wipe, but would still make sure she gets it all.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• my son had my son doing it before he started prek ...last spring actually when he was 4. He could wipe his own butt but i always went behind to check. He has it down pat now though and did well before i sent him to prek. They want them fully potty trained by the time they get into prek. lots of preks will charge extra if they arent
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Our 3.5 year old does it on his own, but he's not good at getting it all and constantly complains that his bottom hurts. So, we encourage him to do it (the teachers at Day Care do help when asked) and then double check that he did a good job when possible.

He was after 3 when he finally decided he wanted to potty train, so I can't speak from the standpoint of a younger child such as yours.
    DanaDWeb

Answer by DanaDWeb at 2:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• My daughter at 2.5 could wipe herself if she peed, but I made her tell me if she pooped and I would wipe her. I have taught her she can wipe in the front if she only pees. She didn't understand how to do it until I explained it not as "wiping" but as "drying herself off" -- then she got it. She will be 3 in May and I still don't let her wipe anything if she has gone poop. I'm not sure when I will... I don't mind doing it, and now I'm doing it for my little one, too... I'd ask the preschool what their policy is before you assume they won't help.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• sorry...i meant i had my son doing it..haha
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 3, 2010