My sons teacher preaching religion

My sons kindergarten teach in a public school has been talking to the children about religion. I feel that it is my decision/job as a parent to decide what my children are taught about it. To hear details of the crucifixion and rapture is unsettling to a 6 year old. And, the last time I checked, it was completely ILLEGAL to teach religion in a public school. I'm apalled that my sons constitutional rights are being violated. I'm apalled that this decision is being taken from my as a parent.

What can I do about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How do you know exactly what she's teaching? Want more info....Did your 6 year old come home and actually use the words crucifixion and rapture? How can you be sure this is going on?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• My son came home and said his teacher told the class all about how Jesus was hong on the cross and killed. But that he's coming back and all the good people will go to heaven with him.
    Anonymous

• Oh my...is it possible she was teaching the (her) true meaning of Easter? Does she teach about all religions or just christianity? I would calmly and non-agressively ask her about it. I'm not saying your son isn't telling the truth, but you may not be getting the whole story....if after you speak to her you find that it is the case, I'd report her. I find it difficult to believe that she would get away with that in a public school, you can't be the first to notice it...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Your son's constitutional rights are being violated? I don't know about that.

What about the pledge and "one nation under God"? We live in a Christian country, like it or not. I guess if you don't like it enough you can homeschool like I did.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Is it the place of a public school teacher to teach children the meaning of Easter? I thought it was not to be brought up under any circumstances.
    Anonymous

• Actually,Gailll, this is not a Christian country, hence the freedom of religion. If she wanted her child to have a bible lesson at school she would have sent them to a private school. In public schools it is indeed ILLEGAL.
    JenW777

Answer by JenW777 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Your son's teacher has NO RIGHT teaching that Jesus hung on the cross and will come back to life allowing the good people to go to heaven with them. She is sharing HER PERSONAL religious views, and that has no place in the classroom. As a public school teacher myself, I know Jesus is not part of my curriculum.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I'm mad about it, but I hesitate to complain because I do like her. However, it is wrong, and should not be happening. I am all for seperation of Church and State, but that does not mean that I have opposing religious views. However I expect a good christian woman to uphold the law.
    Anonymous

• If ALL religions are discussed in some religious theory class I have no issue with it. Seems a bit over kindergarteners heads though, that seems like it could be a high school class, I'm just trying not to jump to conclusions, again, kids don't tell the full story sometimes... if she teaches about ALL holidays, that may change my mind about her a bit....does she discuss passover too? Hanukah, etc...

If she is only teaching her religion, whatever that may be, yes, it is completely wrong.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• She is probably teaching about Easter because one of the children asked. What would you do in that situation? Tell them its a holiday for certain people? NO, you would tell the child the truth. I can not believe that you are offended by this! What are you going to tell your child the reason for Easter is?
    Oh, and FYI you never "hung" someone its always refered to as "hang" maybe if you were less concerned what is being taught in schools, the children would actually learn something, and you would too.
    Anonymous