What anti-depressant helps with weight loss?

I'll probably go on some after I have this baby. I just don't want to gain weight from any of them. I would like if helped me lose some. Any suggestions?

jilliank1109

Asked by jilliank1109 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Health

Level 1 (-17 Credits)
  • Breastfeeding helps loose weight. Make sure you have a hcp that knows you can breasteed on antidepressants. Print out info to take with you on which are best for breastfeeding. Breastfeeding may make depression not so bad.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:59 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• There is no that I know of. But there may be if you are not breastfeeding. Those I don't know about. I never gained weight from my anti-depressant. It helped me get motivated to get up and do things. Is there a reason you are waiting till after baby? Or do you think you will need them after baby?
    Anonymous

• Everyone will respond differently to different medications. You can't predict how your body will respond from a weight aspect, but the FDA "package insert" (available through the website of all manufacturers) will have the most common side effects listed by law. Anything occurring in over 2% of the population has to be included.

I'd ask your doctor or a pharmacist what their experiences have been. Some have other bad side effects that may negate the weight benefit. Your best bet is to start with one, and continue to make adjustments/changes based upon how they help you.

There are several products in the SSRI category (Selective Seratonin Re-uptake Inhibitors) and 1 SNRI (Seratonin Norepinephrine Re-uptake Inhibitor) that are available. You can wikipedia both of those to see how many and what their distinctive traits are.
    DanaDWeb

Answer by DanaDWeb at 2:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Breastfeeding helps loose weight.

Not all is completely true. There is a small number can't remember but your body will keep a hold of the extra weight. I had that with both my kids. With my first I was so frustrated. Everything I did I did not loss anything. I then found out a few % of women actually hang on to it till they are done breastfeeding. So as soon as I was done. My weight went off. Just so you know and not frustrated like when. When everyone is saying oh breastfeeding will take off the weight fast. I hope it is different for you. Because it was hard with my first. I so wish I could find that parent magazine I read it in. It was sometime in 2005 I know.

Anonymous

• a good healthy whole foods diet...no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. walks in the sunshine. a good fish oil, and a good probiotic, less dairy and less gluten.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2010