How can I keep my 2 week old latched on longer??

She will latch just dine and nurse for maybe five minutes then pull off. Then I have to get her latched on again and again. It's getting tough.

Princessm90

Asked by Princessm90 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to squeeze my breast and hold it that way for my dd to latch on and stay latched on for a while until she got the hang of it.
    Anonymous

• A 2 week old baby may be finished eating after 5 minutes. Is she nursing on both sides for 5 minutes each? Is she gaining weight appropriately? If you continue to be concerned, you might contact the lactation consultant at the hospital where you gave birth or contact your local Le Leche League. Good luck!
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Is she falling asleep at the breast or just unlatching? Falling asleep at the breast like that is very common and normal. Here is an article to give you some ideas on how to keep baby awake at the breast (if that is the problem). http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/html/waking_a_sleepy_baby.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 2:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Spend more time with her "skin to skin", laying back with baby in only a diaper, you with your shirt off. Encourage her to nurse more frequently. The skin to skin time helps to organize baby's behavior and helps them to nurse more effectively.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• All of the above. But don't be surprised to find she still only stays on five minutes. They are contrary that way!

Answer by gdiamante at 5:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2010