What type of pet

Would you ladies consider for a Toddler, he loves the fish tank but I dont want a tank full of water in his room, I was going to get him a Tank pet to look at while in his room but I was just informed that some turtles(water turtles) carry Salmonila and I dont want that in his room. Do you ladies have any suggestions.....oh and I really dont want a snake in there either

Quintensmom

Asked by Quintensmom at 2:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Pets

• Maybe a hamster or a gerbil
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 2:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Turtles are safe as long as you wash your hands after handling AND with a toddler the 1st thing you teach is that he cannot touch the turtle when you aren't around and keep some hand sanitizer WITH the tank.
    We've had Red-Earred Sliders for YEARS with no problems at all with any child around them getting ill.
    The chances of getting sick are slim to none and most of the cases that have been documented are where a small child put a small (half dollar sized or smaller) turtle entirely in his mouth.....just get larger turtles.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• If you must get a rodent, please, please, save yourself the hassel of bitten fingers and shavings messes by putting it in a 10-gal fish tank! ; )
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• i would wait until he is a bit older and can take care of the pet and understand that it is his pet. not something to eat or hurt unintentionally because he is still a toddler. its not fair to the poor animal whatever u choose. when he can walk a dog then u can get him one and b available to drive him to the training classes . he then will b proud to have a pet that is well behaved. good luck
    Anonymous