What does it take to Adopt?

My husband and I have always wanted our own children. We have one. But we also really want to be able to be a family to another who is not fortunate yet. We have only talked about it never looked it up. Can you give us info on what the steps are to adopting a child(any age). How much it will cost from start to finish as in them living with us? We need to know just an anverage ball field number.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Adoption

• I also want to adopt i was adopted and always have had a heart to Ive looked into it and its pretty expensive like thousands of dollars. But my adopted mom said if you go through social services you dont have to pay as if you were to go through an adoption agency. You can get started by calling your local social services company and they will connect you with someone to set you up with an info packet of getting started. or if you are willing to pay you can go online and google how to adopt a child and theres tons of adoption agencies you can click on and email them and they will get you started. hope this helps
    KM52mom

Answer by KM52mom at 4:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Pick up a copy of the book "The Adoption Resource Book" by Lois Gilman. It includes lots of information on different types of adoptions, processes associated with each, pros/cons and I believe also includes a general idea on costs. However, costs vary dramatically based on type of adoption. When we adopted our son in 2007, we paid about $30K in fees when all was said and done. We adopted domestically via an agency. Adopting through your state's social services is significantly cheaper.
    Anonymous

• Adoptions are very different depending on the circumstances. You will need a home study which will include a physical and criminal background checks. You will need space for a child and you will need to take classes.

The different types that I know of are

Foster to Adopt
    Adopting from the foster system.
    Private adoption
    Domestic through an agency
    International through a facilitator
    International through an agency

I am guessing there are more but those are the ones I know of. You will need to decide which route you want to go and then research the rules for what you have decided to persue. Adoption.com is a good resource. I have heard of prices from 3k to 70k, so make sure you get a complete price break down up front and add 40% to the top. Open a savings account and put as much in there as you can so you have cash on hand.
    7babies4me

Answer by 7babies4me at 9:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• We adopted internationally and our total costs were $26K. This included: 4 homestudy visits with a social worker, agency fees, USCIS fees(twice), fingerprint fees for county, state, and federal levels twice, notarizations of everything, county authentications for everything, medical co-pays for physicals, country authentication, translation, and travel for 3 weeks including a ticket home for our 17 month old dd. ( she had her own seat on the plane)

Every process is different and has different fees as well as laws. In the case of international adoption it will depend on your agency, state and the country program. China is one of the more affordable, however the wait for a referral is currently 4 years from the time the paperwork is received in China. Foster care is the most affordable as there are usually no fees or minimal fees.
    I would recommend researching adoption, attachment and bonding to be sure you want to adopt. GL!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• davethomasfoundation.org
    adoptuskids.org
    mare.org
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:48 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I am so glad that you are wanting to adopt. It is great that you have a child already. Did you ever consider helping someone that can't afford to adopt and have no children? We desperately want to have a chance to have one child but can't afford it. We don't want to go through social services cause their main goal in AZ is to return the kids to their birth families and we have been thru that already and it is totally devastating. It is so heartbreaking to know that there are so many babies out there that need loving homes yet it is so expensive that people like us can't do it. It is just a thought that maybe you or someone out there reading this will consider helping others achieve their dreams of being parents.
    Jen145

Answer by Jen145 at 2:33 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• We adopted through the foster care system and our total out of pocket expenses for the adoption was $16.50. That amount was for her birth certificate.

Money is certainly an important factor, but you do need to do a lot of research on the type of adoption that would best suit your family, not only financially, but emotionally and physically as well. Adoption is not an easy process, it's a long road of disappointment, frustration, and trials, but the payoff at the end is unbelievably joyous!!! Blessings to you and your husband for considering adoption!! :-)
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 6:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Actually the wait for China is now 6 yrs for a referral. We just recently completed an adoption from Russia and couldn't be happier with the results! Our son is wonderful and healthy and adapting very well! If you would like more info on Russian adoption, you may send me a pm.
    MinnieMagic

Answer by MinnieMagic at 7:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2010