Babysitters and Dishes

Is it unreasonable to expect your babysitter to wash the dishes that she or your children use while under her supervision? I have had a number of babysitters (not just one specific one) leave dirty dishes sitting in the sink for me to come home to. Is it that hard to put them in the dishwasher? When I was of babysitting age, I would have never even thought to not clean up after myself and the kids. Is it this generation of kids or are my expectations not fair?

kmseager

Asked by kmseager at 3:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• If it's that big of a deal, why don't you just make mention of it when they first come on the job when you're giving rules and whatnot? Just say, "And please put dishes in the dishwasher."
    Anonymous

• When I babysat, it was automatic that I cleaned the house/picked up played with toys and did the dishes.. it never needed to be asked of me...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Exactly what anon said. If you didn't specify that you wanted dishes to be done, you can't expect them to be done! She is, after all, a BABY SITTER, not a housekeeper, dishwasher, etc!
    Anonymous

• Maxsmom, of course one would expect toys to be picked up! THAT is a whole different thing.
    Anonymous

• I would expect it.....that is how I was raised...that if you make a mess you clean it up...that would include cleaning up after the kids which would be dishes they used!!! I have this problem with my husband though LOL
    MommyMerry7

Answer by MommyMerry7 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Ok, thanks for your opinions. I guess I just feel that one should clean up after themselves and my kids, especially when they are being paid...but I shouldn't assume anything.
    kmseager

Answer by kmseager at 3:22 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Okay, how much are you paying her? Enough for cleaning too? I doubt it. I say either pay her more for doing the dishes or find someone else. She is feeding your kids, be glad she cleared the table.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Like I said, this is with at least 3 different sitters I have had...not just one. And I don't pay shabby. Maybe I just need to be more direct when they arrive like the first poster said.
    kmseager

Answer by kmseager at 3:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• It was always something I did because I wanted to be responsible, but it was never asked of me when I was babysitting. Our babysitter that we normally use doesn't do dishes, but both of the last times we've used her she's had 4 kids (once 4 kids 3 and younger). She does put them in the sink, and the toys are usually back in their places.

If it's expected, I'd ask the babysitter to do it, I'd put paper plates/utensils out to make clean-up easier, or I'd have the kids fed before she arrives (my parents used to do the last one).
    DanaDWeb

Answer by DanaDWeb at 3:41 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I baby sat a lot as a teen and was never expected to do dishes as a part of baby sitting. How old your kids? If they are old enough to load the dishwasher, instruct the baby sitter to make sure they load the supper dishes into the dishwasher.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2010