how do i stop my baby girl from biting?

my 1and half year old will randomly come up and bite me how do i make her understand that it hurts she thinks its funny

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have five children and had one who had a serious biting problem. I had a brother who bit as well. My brother bit my mom in church, he was 2 and almost bit a chunk out of my mom just above her breast, to this day I dont know how she managed to hold it together and get out of the chapel without crying out in pain. Her dress was soaked in blood. After months of no's and time-out's and begging and pleading...my mom finally out of sheer frustration told my brother "Look at what you did to mommy", " do you know how that felt?" and when he laughed, she bit him and he cried and he never bit again. My mother was the kindest, most loving, most gentle creature on the face of the earth(she cried all night about having to bite him) but somehow she knew the only way to stop this little boy from this violent problem was by associating the feeling with the action.No blood was drawn, just enough to show him it hurt, that it wasn't a game.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• aww she thinks its a game.lol give her teething toys to bite on perhaps?
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 3:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Keep telling her "no biting" each and every time she does it.
    Anonymous

• I bite dd back. She was a year tho and bite me TWICE! Once she left a bruise as big as my tricep (which was when I bit her back). She's 2 now and hasn't even attempted it! I didn't bite hard, never left teeth marks! Just pinched the skin a little and held on. A game or not, whens she's around other kids and bites, there is no 'it was just a game" remark! Get a hold of it now! You could try telling her every time that biting isn't ok, but biting back seems to show them WHY as opposed to just don't....
    Anonymous

• I disagree with the suggestion to bite back. How would you expect the child to understand why it's ok for mom to bite but not her?? I solved the problem by telling my son no very firmly then walking away and ignoiring him for a little while.
    Anonymous

• IF you get a Solution that works tell me!!!
    My two year old son still bites, he thinks its funny. I have tried all the old wives tales, Ive tried awful tasting food on my skin.
    HE still bites.
    Constant firm no's are a must but I have no advice on how long the Puppy teething last.
    Good LUCK!
    dalvenjah

Answer by dalvenjah at 8:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• When my DD would bite me I would usually be holding her. I would say "No Biting" loudly and seriously, immediately put her down and walk away. She didn't do it too many times before she got the message. At one and a half you could probably come back in a minute and explain that it hurts mommy and is not nice and she is not to do it ever again. Basically give her an immediate negative reaction and a withdrawal of your attention for a minute or two.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 10:02 AM on Mar. 4, 2010