Did you teach your child to read or did you let the school handle it?

My mother didn't teach me, but my siblings and I excelled in language. I want to teach my son early, but she says its a waste of time. I think she was just uninterested in us as kids.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Our school teaches them how to read and all that plus its a very very nice school with a different approach unlike other schools. But we read at home. My oldest goes to the Library in the school with her class and picks out a book. we read it every day for 20 mins and then they get a reward after a month. we do the same with my youngest and shes in prek. its the parents responsibility to do this more then a school i think.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 6:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I taught my daughter to read. She was in school at the time but the school only teaches sight words. I wanted her to learn phonics so she could sound out new words.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• It's up to you as the parent. I'm a certified teacher. You could teach your kids to read before they start school or let the school teach them. I learned to read in school and never fell behind. Millions of us did just fine learning to read in 1st grade. However, if you want to teach your kids to read at 4 when they're home with you, that's fine too. They're your kids. Do what makes you happy.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I want to teach my dd as well, and my mom says it's a waste of time. She ran a daycare at home and says we all learned eventually! I tell her what my dd has learned and she says "she'll get that later anyways"... feels like a waste of time asking her sometimes
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I'm teaching my 4 year old, but I'm also planning on homeschooling him. If I were sending him to school next year I would probably not be doing as much right now. My mom did not teach me how to read and the school system I was in failed me. It was supposed to be a good school system too, but they stuck me in the dumb reading group and treated me like a hopeless idiot. My step-dad taught me to read when I was 7. He taught my brother to read and write when he was 3 or 4. My brother was way ahead by the time he started kindergarten and my parents pushed to have him skip a grade so he wouldn't be so bored, but that was a huge fight and the school system didn't give in for years, he finally skipped 3rd grade.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• i taught my older son and im just begining to teach my 4 yr old
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• My daughter pretty much taught herself, though we play lots of letter games and read a lot. She was reading by her fourth birthday.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I taught my guys to read because it is important to me they had an edge. I believed they should read before they went to school and they did.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I taught my daugher to read, write, and speak different language by 3 years old, now she has excelled because of school. But she is very smart and I will take credit for that.
    Anonymous

• we have books all over the house, I read to them and encouraged them from day one.

I didn't go out of my way to cram reading and all that down their throats though - no flash cards and other "learning" stuff. just life - street signs, labels, books at home etc...

now they're all in school and excellent readers.

Anonymous