is it ok that my 2 month old can go like 9-12 hours without eating?

last night she ate 5 1/2 oz. at 7 pm..... i fell asleep so she didnt even wake up until 10 the next morning. can she get dehydrated? she has been going 6 hours before she gets hungry and she's always sleeping? is that too long without formula?

2_amazing

Asked by 2_amazing at 3:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• most drs will say yes that is to long for that age the sleep is probly really nice but you might try setting an alarm for every four hours. I heard any longer for that age is to long to go without eating.
    Anonymous

• If my 2 month old was sleeping thru a feeding, I wouldn't be comfortable letting them go more than 4-5 hours, personally.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I know there's a saying "let sleeping babies lay" or something like that. And God knows it must be nice to catch up on sleep, laundry, etc. But it seems like 9 hours is a LOT... a two month old still needs tons of calories. I suppose as long as she's gaining weight and stuff .... maybe it's all good.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• When my daughter was 2 months old I let her sleep through the night. She never went hungry. As long as your baby is gaining weight normally, don't worry about it. I would however wake her during the day to feed her if she goes too long in between, but that rarely happened.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I was told no sooner than 2 hours, no longer than 4 hours for a newborn to eat.
    they need the calories
    carolhas2kids

Answer by carolhas2kids at 4:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• You need to wake her up to eat. If she's eating every 2 to 3 hours during the day, then wake her every 5 to 6 hours at night to eat.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I would not consider a 2 month old a "newborn" and waking to eat every 4 hours. It should be fine for her to sleep that long as long is she is making up for it during the day with more frequent and/or larger feedings.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• That's an awfully long time at that age. If it were me (especially because I'm breastfeeding) I'd wake my baby to eat after five hours. I'd be conserned about my milk supply and especially baby's weight gain. Two months old is still newborn in my opinion and they need to eat more often. I'd worry about the excessive sleepiness unless it was during a growth spurt which is short term.

Is there enough diaper output? Is the baby alert and responsive when awake or listless? Is the baby a little "too" content?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Been there. As a PP said set an alarm for every 4 hours, when she reaches 3 months you can move it up to 6. I bet she was hungry when she woke up!! :)
    .carrie.

Answer by .carrie. at 6:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2010