How much milk should a 15 month old drink?

He drinks a sippy cup before each meal (3 meals) & I'd say the amount ranges from 5-8oz depending on the cup since they don't have measurements on the ones we have. He's always been right in the middle for his weight & height, but he seems to be more interested in snacking with us in between meals & is gaining some weight. Most of the time we try to eat with him, but if I have a fruit snack at a different time I'll usually let him have some with me.

Should I keep it at 5oz per meal or cut out one of the sippy cups & substitute water or healthy juice? He eats dairy with his food daily too, whether it be cheerios with milk, yogurt, cheese, etc. Oh & he still takes two 90-120min naps a day & sleeps 12-13hrs at night.

Also someone said that it's not necessary to get whole milk & you can get 2%. Either way I don't mind, but my husband drinks 2% so it'd be easier just to share.

Thanks ladies <3

ours

Asked by ours at 4:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• none... cows milk is not necessary
    Anonymous

• Anon, are you saying soy milk should be used? I've been thinking about trying it out for him to see if he likes it.
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Truthfully, I think you are over thinking this. As long as he is eating 3 healthy meals a day and maybe a couple of snacks between those meals. He shopuld be fine. Milk or water or sugar free cool aid should be fine with meals. Juice has a lot of sugar in it. Regular fruit is better for a child.

Answer by louise2 at 4:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I was told 16-24 oz. You don't have to feed them milk if you substitute it with other foods with calcium foods such as cheese, yogurt...etc.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 15 months also and hasnt been gaining much wait either. the drs arent to worried but as far as milk i give some in the morning some right before nap and bed time about 6 oz every time. and then throughout the day i give her watered down 100% juice about 8 oz of that a day and she has three meals a day and a snack in between lunch and dinner. so as long as hes drinking and eating a good amount of healthy stuff no need to worry. At this age they are getting more active so there not going to gain as much wait. And it is better that they have whole milk at this age but its not going to hurt them if they have 2%
    Anonymous

• meant,, should

Answer by louise2 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Ya this is just my first child & I wasn't sure when they start drinking less milk & more juice/water. I want to make sure his diet is as healthy as possible & just want to make sure I know when he needs more food rather than milk.

I just measured his sippy cups & we've been giving him three 8oz sippy cups a day of whole milk.
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• So I googled it & got a bunch of different people saying 16oz is the most appropriate for a toddler 15-24mos that eats 3 meals a day as well as snacks.

I'm probably just going to cut down to 6oz bottles & continue letting him have some water if it gets warm or after a snack.
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:22 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Way too much milk. Other than breastmilk, water is best for humans. Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 4:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• You're doing just fine. What he's drinking in an appropriate amount for his age. Skip the juice for the time being or use it sparingly and diluted. Make sure you get him in the habit of drinking water too. Good habits start young. If his snacks are healthy, you're doing fine. I found that fewer snacks resulted in my toddler eating better at dinner but that's less of an issue if snacks are fruits, etc. Don't be surprised if you toddler loses weight at this age. My son actually lost 3 lbs between his 15 and 18 months checkups. I was surprised but my doctor told me that's what should occur. Toddlers also go through phases where they eat almost nothing so don't be surprised when that happens too. Your best bet is to look over the course of a week at what your child eats before worrying about whether or not it's balanced.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2010