Is it cruel?

Do you think it is cruel to put a child in a classroom where everyone speaks a different language?

I am sending my son to Taiwan for two months with his grandparents. While there they are enrolling him in a Chinese only speaking kindergarten class, where he will be Mon-Fri from 7 am until 5 pm. We are doing this in hopes that total immersion will help him learn the language faster. My mom thinks this is cruel, and is worried that he will be miserable. I think my son is still young enough to pick up a second language pretty easily, especially since he excels with language. He will also be going to an after-school type program 3 times a week, where the Chinese kids are learning to speak English, so he can help them, while they help him.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 4:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think it is cruel at all. It is often the case for immigrants/emigrants and they usually pick it up just fine.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Considering the Chinese kids won't be cruel to him like American kids would be to a Chinese kid that couldn't speak the language, I don't think it's cruel at all. Americans don't get the discipline they get over there, so I think your kid is safe and will learn pretty quickly.
    Anonymous

• i wouldnt send my kid no where for 2 months unless im there,thats creepy to me.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 4:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• immigrant children do it here all the time. It's how my school taught French.

not cruel.

I wouldn't be able to handle sending my little child off for 2 months just to learn a foreign language though.
    Anonymous

• I don't think Chinese is a language anyone can pick up easily.

Anonymous

• he is young he will probly pick it up fast. but if hes uncomfortable after few times of trying it tell him to be open with you and have him let you know if he doesnt like it. and at that age just try and keep asking him each day if if he liked it. but at that age they are all starting from scratch of learning everything it shouldnt be a problem
    Anonymous

• wow - I would never be able to send my son away for 2 months... BUt I am sure, given he has no choice but to learn, he'll pick it up faster than taking a class here.. Yeah, I guess I think its sad a little
    Anonymous

• why cant you teach him im not getting it?
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 4:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I don't think it is cruel to put him in a class without anyone speaking his language, but I do think it is pretty cruel that you feel it is ok to send your son to a different country for two months without you, enrolling him in school, and letting him fend for himself 8 hours a day in a place that very possibly isn't even safe.
    Anonymous

• 7-5? That's a long time. And if NO one there speaks english, how will he know what to do? How will he ask for help, or to use the bathroom....I don't think it's cruel, but I think it's a little much. How old is he? And is he excited about it? What are his thoughts on it?
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 4:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2010