30 min naps

My dd is 3 moths old she takes about 4 30 min naps during the day but sleeps 8 hours at night is this normal at her age should i be trying to get her to sleep more during the day dont get me wrong i like sleeping through the night but i want whats best for her

sashasmom159

Asked by sashasmom159 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well my son took cat naps like that too except they were 20 minutes and he only slept 3 hours at a shot at this age so... I'd say so far, you're doing good
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• its up to you if you like that schedule but its normal if you would rather her take less naps you can try and keeping her up longer and she might take less and longer naps
    Anonymous

• That sounds totally fine to me!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• She naps? AND sleeps long stretches? Count your blessings. Nothing at all wrong here.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Hmmm that's only 10 hours of sleep... I'd encourage more naps. Try swaddling or a nice dark room with white noise
    Anonymous

• sounds like what mine did-- so, sounds good
    Anonymous

• It's more common to wake at least once a night, and that is an awful long time to fast. But that said if that is close to her her normal sleeping pattern (which is different than forcing that kind of sleeping pattern) and she is getting enough to eat, and gaining weight and is healthy and happy don't mess with it by forcing a change; it will backfire on you. Besides, sleeping patterns change a LOT during the first year. She's in a growth spurt phase right now and that makes a difference. Babies tend to sleep more for a short period of time while they grow rapidly. It is not likely to stay that way.

If it was muy baby and she was not gaining well, or my milk supply was affected, then I'd wake her after five hours to eat. I'd especially pay attention to diaper output and her behavior.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• she is gaining plenty of weight she already weighs 16 pounds
    sashasmom159

Answer by sashasmom159 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• My 3 month old does the same thing - either a couple 20 minute naps or doesn't at all, but goes to sleep at 8 every night & will sleep for eight hours before she wakes up to eat, then another 2-4 depending on our schedule for the day. I think your little one's doing just fine :)
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 5:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I disagree with most of the posters. At 3 months your baby needs to be getting more sleep than 10 hours more like 16 a day. She might be waking up as a stirring in her sleep and the nap isn't completely finished. Try to soothe her, rub her back, ect. to get her to sleep more before just assuming the nap is over. There are a lot of great books that might help. Now would be a good time to start working on longer sleep times for your little one. I like the Happiest Baby on the Block, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and (I will get lots of disagreement here) I do like parts of Baby Wise.

Also here's a great link I found about a mommy who sleep trained her baby using Baby Wise methods and The Baby Whisperer book. http://blogginaboutbabies.wordpress.com/2009/05/13/infant-schedules-by-month/

mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 8:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2010