I AM NOT trying to start a debate. That being said, did anyone else WANT to bottle feed?

Growing up, little girls have babies, and their babies have bottles. It just IS. So when I was pregnant I was so excited about getting bottles so I could bottle feed my own baby, so I could hold my baby and look at her while I fed her. The last week of my pregnancy ALL I wanted to do was make a bottle and feed it to her.

Once she was here I breastfed. I never had a second thought about breastfeeding. However, I did also supplemented with formula, so I DID bottle feed part of the time. I don't think anyone is better or right or whatever for their choices on the matter, I just want to know if there is anyone else out there who felt this way, this intense urge to bottle feed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• nope... seemed like a huge hassel. WAke up, walk to kitchen, boil water, make bottle, clean bottle, buy formula. I wasnt a bfer becuse Im a granola... hell I was a bfer because it was free and easy.
    Anonymous

• i did both and i feel not one once of guilt, theres other stuff ive done for my kid that moms didnt do and i dont feel like a better mom for that.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 4:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• i didn't. it seemed like too much of a hassle to have to make bottles, warm them up, and do all this at 3 am when i could just pop him on the breast and nap while he's eating. i didn't have to worry about him sucking on air if i accidentally fell asleep w/ a bottle.

but, i do know mom's that didn't want to bfed at all bc they thought it was an inconvenience or some other reason and planned to bottle feed from the beginning. i don't know if they looked forward to it.

they know have dolls that are bfed babies. or you can just get regular dolls and take the bottle away and make it a bfing baby.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 4:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Yeah, you know I wanted her to take that bottle the first time I had to go out in public without her! She was ebf and the bottle was a challenge, let me tell you...
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I bottle fed my kids. They were breast fed at first, but with my first, we both got thrush and it became too painful to breast feed, and with my second, I couldn't produce enough so I had to go to formula. I didn't think twice about formula. I loved bottle feeding my kids. It's not a big deal, it's not hard, and it doesn't make anyone better or worse for doing one or the other.
    Anonymous

• My Girlfriend is a big one for bottle feeding where as I am pro boob... Whatever works for you... for her nursing didn't work, so she didn't and chose not to on her next child. Though I am pro-boob :P I believe nursing is only good for the child as long as it works for the mom... Do what you feel is right. Because for you and your child, it is.
    Mommy-2-B-of-3

Answer by Mommy-2-B-of-3 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Nope. I think bottles are a big pain. It's so convenient to be able to feed any time any where with no bottles to wash or formula to mix and heat up.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• it makes sense, honestly. bottle feeding is almost all that we see in our day-to-day lives. usually breastfeeding is behind closed doors (fortunately i think that is changing!!!)

i do think it's sad that in our culture bottle-feeding is seen this way, but i know it's true.
    Anonymous

• OP here: I liked the convenience of BFing, too, I would BF at night so I didn't have to get up and make bottles, etc. I continued for over a year. However, I knew I would have to go back to work after just a few months, so I didn't want to have it be a hassel when I was ready to go back, I wanted her used to it from day one. I mostly pumped, but did have to supplement with forumal a bit.

And I don't mean anything bad about having dolls with bottles, I just always remember that growing up.. you know?
    Anonymous

• I hadn't a second thought about bottle feeding. I knew from the gate that I was not going to breast feed, it just wasn't for me. I plan on bottle feeding my next child as well.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 4:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2010