What do you do when your kids FIGHT for your attention?

I have two children. 8 and 9. They were born 7 months apart (My 2nd child wasn't planned and born premature) .. Anyways, they fight for attention so bad that they are starting to dislike each other. We have never showed favortism or made one feel more important. It's about as equal as it gets. Anyone have this problem? What do we do about it? I'm really going crazy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• make sure that you take time to do one on one things with them. the other child must stay home until it's thier turn, and they get to pick. Or...so there's no competition between what they do, they make up things they'd like to do, put it in a hat and they get to draw one out when it's thier turn to have one on one time, and that is what you do for your time out with each.
    I've got young ones, so I sit on the floor and let them crawl all over me, and I take turns tickling them lol
    Anonymous

• I do things seperately with my children. Yes they fight for attention, but really we are pretty equal and it seems to be our girls doing this a lot. When our kids fight with one another though we make them give hugs to each other and tell each other that they love each other. And I will tell you 99% of the time we get them laughing and playing with one another rather than fighting.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2010