My ef bf and I have come to an amicable agreement than now that we have split he will pay me X amount per month. Our son will stay with me during the week and he will stay with dad for weekends and holidays. Question is, what is a fair dollar amount for child support?

We both work. I make about 35k and ex bf makes about 60k. The baby has everything he needs...clothing, diapers, toys, books, food etc. We have decided that we will go half on new clothing and shoes four times per year, so I think $50 per week is a fair amount. Neither of us have other children. What do you guys think? Is this fair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh yeah, our son is twenty-one months old now.
    Anonymous

• the judge will decide

Anonymous

• We are not going through the courts, we have decided that it's in everyone's best interest to handle it ourselves.
    Anonymous

• $50 a week! That is only $200 a month. That is crazy if he makes $60k a year.

My SIL gets $1,800 a month in child support and her ex makes around $52K a year.
    Anonymous

• I agree. You should be getting more. They're may come a time where your not getting so much money. If you don't need all of it now, put it in a savings account for your son.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I'm assuming you'll be working as well. If you didn't have joint custody, I'd say at least 100 a week....because that would be helping you with food, clothing, healthcare etc....But since both you and him kinda have the same amout of time (he's in daycare while your working, so you'll only see him after work etc...and your ex will have him all weekend and most likely not be working weekends, therefore your time taking care of your child will be pretty even) then I would say not that much.....
    Anonymous

• I only get $49.00 a month and nothing extra like you get. There is no reason for you to get into fits with your childs father, if he is willing to pay you $50.00 a week take it and I am sure as much as this man is willing to agree to things already he isn't going to deprive your child of anything.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• You better do some research because you're about to get screwed. That is not a fair amount based off of his salary. You may have the clothing, etc you need now, but what about after his next growth spurt? Kids are expensive. Things add up, plus unexpected things happen...kids get sick, furniture breaks, etc. $50 a week wouldn't even cover groceries. Diapers alone will be about $15 to $20 a week.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• So how do courts generally figure out what amount should be given? I am just thinking of his needs and honestly I think $200 a month will more than cover that...I also forgot to add that dad has maintained a savings account for the baby from before he was born, last time I checked he had saved about 7K to be used for educational purposes.
    Anonymous

• "We are not going through the courts, we have decided that it's in everyone's best interest to handle it ourselves. "

Not a good idea. If you go through the courts, you get a legal document stipulating how much he'll pay. There will be no he said she said and no excuses why he can't pay this week or that. Going through the courts protects you, him, and the child. Also, if you get the courts to determine your child support, they can garnish the dad's wages if he fails to pay one month.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2010