Why should couples have a Bank joint account when only one of them is the sole provider?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• Anon 6.04 is right. If the spouse who is working dies and he is the only one on the bank account then the surviving spouse won't have access to the money without going through all sorts of lengthly legal processes. It happened when my grandfather died and it was months before my grandmother had access to the money she needed to pay the bills.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 6:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• ?

If only one works is the other supposed to ask every time money is needed? How does that work? If I dont work and my son needs something do I wait until hubby gets home to 'ask' for money? If hubby needs money for food for dinner and I work is he supposed to wait until I get home to 'ask' for money so he can prepair dinner?
    Anonymous

• There is no such thing as "my money" in a marriage. Part of the contract you sign is that whole "what's mine is yours, and yours is mine" thing. And yes, that's all that marriage is: a contract.
    Anonymous

• That's what Hubby and I have..I never carry cash and I pay all the bills and I use our debit card..I'm SAHM and whatever is his is mine.

Anonymous

• Well one way to look at is this, if god for bid something were to happen to you and say he wasn't on your account, and you have recently gotten paid or had a nice amount of money in there he wouldn't be able to get that money because he is not on your account. Wouldn't you want him to be able to get that money to help pay for expenses that you normally pay for or have extra to help support your child?
    Anonymous

• A friend of mine had her driver permit expired and when it was time to change banks she couldn't get included in the account. So now she uses her husbands debit card. She knows her husband password.
    Anonymous

• Before banks how do you think the money was manage? The one that worked had control of the money.
    Anonymous

• Actually any money that is "joint" still has to go through probate before you can spend it.... so we do keep a little bit of money in separate accounts just in case something does happen to one of us.

Anyway we keep the majority of our money in our joint checking account. I am the "nerd" in our marriage so I manage the money, write the budget etc. And my husband looks over it and gives the okay. We always spend out money together even if my husband is the sole provider.

Why?
    Because two heads are better than one. I don't want him to get screwed over, he doesn't want me to get screwed over and we sure as hell do not want a parent child relationship.
    Anonymous

• My husband holds a job and earns the money, but I do all the bill paying. I couldn't do that if we didn't have a joint account.
    Anonymous

• Marriage is an equal partnership; while only one partner is earning a salary, the money belongs to both partners equally.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2010