What is this line that runs vertically down the center of my belly?

Just wondering is this normal for all pregnant women? It seems to get darker the bigger I get. Anyone else??

Katina23

Asked by Katina23 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's called linea negra "black line". It's perfectly normal, just hyperpigmentation of the skin. Not everyone gets it, but it's normal.
    jenwmuot

Answer by jenwmuot at 6:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• First pregnancy? LOL. Yes, completely normal. Called negra something.(can't remember) Yes, depending on YOUR skin tone it will get pretty dark. It will go away few weeks after baby is born.
    dellamae

Answer by dellamae at 6:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Pregnancy Line and your areola get very dark too...
    Anonymous

• My kids are grown but I remember worrying about that too. I never understood it. I wonder what makes it appear at all. But at least jenwmuot says it's not so unusual after all. Maybe it has something to do with the pull of the umbilical cord to our uteruses.

Congratulations Mommy and Blesssings to You!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 6:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• i had it from the top of my top of my pubic bone right up to just below my breast. it's completely normal.....fades away afetr u give birth.
    i am really white and my line was pretty dark...but it been 2 and a half months since i gave birth and now its almost cleared away completely.
    oh and just for fun: it's also an old wives tales....if it goes to just the belly botton then its a girl and if goes above the belly botton then its a boy
    fay101

Answer by fay101 at 6:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• My daughter is 6.5 months old and I still have it. It has faded a little, but it's still there.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I really don't know what it is called but I do know that it is normal and mine lightened up awhile after I gave birth.
    mommy2each

Answer by mommy2each at 6:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• its normal
    Anonymous