What would you do in this situation?

I have a ds who is 8 yrs. old and he is your average kind of boy anyway today after school he kicked another boy in between the legs (nuts) it happened right after school ended when the teacher told me this I was very upset and disappointed in my son. When they asked him why he just said he did not know why...but when I asked him he said the boy called and said a bad word towards him but my ds did not want to say anything else bc he felt the teacher will not believe a word, so he kept quiet we came home and took all his privledges away and stood in time out for awhile. But my real question is he broke one of their school rules (keep your hands and feet to yourself) So what can be done as of now I know he is going to apologize for sure 2morrow but I feel there should be more to this :( I feel so bad for the other boy :(
Any advice? (Please I am looking for some advice... no put downs) Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would most definately do the whole punishment at home but I wouldn't make him apologize. If the other boy called him out of his name then maybe the nut shot taught him a lesson about using curse words in the wrong situation! I have two boys and we always teach them to stand up for themselves in any situation. Granted a kick to the peaches is a little extreme but at least he stood up for himself! You don't want him to be a push over and be the kid that everybody picks on cause they know they can get away with it. Hopefully he can get over the trust issues he has with his teacher though. He needs to know that when you're not there that somebody has his back!! Good luck and although it's a tough one you know you can get through it!
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Time out @ 8? Let the other kid nut shot him back! He'll never do it again!
    Anonymous

• well, I think your son should be punished and it sounds like he will be to show him not to hurt other people- but are you sure about him apologizing? hate to say it, but it sounds like the other boy could take it as a sign of weakness and make it hard on your son.

You son was wrong to hurt another child, but if the other kid did something I don't think he should get off scott free-

it's complicated I know-
    Anonymous

• Sounds like anon 6:22 needs therapy -
    Anonymous

• Times like this are opportunities to teach him why it's important not to do what he did. That's what I would do, talk to him and educate him. I'd emphasize the no touch policy but especially why this incident is harmful.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• what did the school do to your son? just let you know about it? your son should have let the teacher know what was going on, and this whole situation could have been prevented. Maybe you should have the school counselor meet with you, your son, the other boy, and the other boys parent(s), and the teacher. Hitting is not acceptable, but the other kid must have said something pretty bad to get kicked in the nuts.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Take it as an opportunity to teach about conflict resolution.  You weren't there so you don't know exactly what occurred (he may have been provoked), but obviously whatever it was, being physical is not the solution.   

There are some good kids books on anger/conflict resolution and bullying.  Check out the books here http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html    Parents can read it advance to start a conversation or read together and then discuss. 

momjs

Answer by momjs at 8:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Sounds like you need to talk to the teacher about what he said happened. I think... if him telling the boy to knock it off didnt work, then a kick in the nuts will!!

But he did break the rules so he should say he was sorry BUt they should know that he did it because the boy was saying things to him.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:32 AM on Mar. 4, 2010