is this a sign of adhd????

I have a 3 soon to be 4 year old who is constantly throwing temper tantrums all day every day. If you say the word "no" to him, he has a complete meltdown. If he has to transition to an activity he doesn't want to do, he has a complete meltdown. When we try to punish him by putting him in timeout, he absolutely refuses to sit there unless we spank him. He will scream at us if he doesnt like what we have to say, tell us he doesnt love us, and stomp and run away.

He is capable of being just as sweet as he is mean......when he is getting his way, or having a good day (few and far between) he is the most loving child you've ever met. He is also capable of doing his work at school (if he wants to) He is a very smart child, but if he doesn't want to do something he makes it well known. His teachers have to physically restrain him to put him in time out. If possible, he hits, bites, and kicks them to try to get away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It could be. I would talk to the pediatrician. They won't diagnose at this age, but they might be able to give you some things to try in the mean time.
    Anonymous

• it could be - it could also be a sighn of the terrible 3's...
    Anonymous

• he would have already been kicked out of preschool if it werent our home church and the directors werent friends of mine......its more than terrible 3's The docs wont see him without some form his preschool doesnt have :(
    kthomas220

Answer by kthomas220 at 7:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I would light a fire under that boys butt!! Sounds like he is confuse on who is in charge, not only at home but also at school. The teachers by law have to do the whole time out thing but as a parent we have to do what it takes! Let him know who is in charge and that if he goes against it there will be consiquinces! He may be little but if you don't teach him now just wait until he turns 16! Good luck and put your foot down!

cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 7:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I appreciate you're response, but he is very disciplined.....he is spanked, gets time out, and has toys taken away. I know you mean no disprespect, but he is not spoiled and by no means gets his way....thanks again for your reply, but its off base..
    kthomas220

Answer by kthomas220 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• That doesn't sound like ADHD, but it does sound like some sort of behavioral problem. If your doctor refuses to see him, find another doctor.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 7:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• No.
    Anonymous

• You need to be an advocate for your son. He needs to be evaluated by a behavioral specialist or child therapist. ADHD is a buzz word lately but it's usually not diagnosed until mid-elementary school. It doesn't sound like he has trouble focusing, it sounds like he has anger and control issues. Find a pediatrician who will see you, ask them for a referral, and don't take no for an answer. If they are asking for a form, demand that the Dr.'s office give you one! Or tell you where to get it. You need to get some answers now before this behavior continues and gets worse
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 8:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I think there is something wrong, it may not be ADHD, but there is something not right. As for the doctor refusing to see him without a form from the preschool, I would be DEMANDING my child be seen or I would be finding a new doctor. Get a referral to a child psychologist and have your child evalutated BEFORE the behavior gets worse or he starts school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• No I to not think it is ADHD.

It may be more of a processing issue. He may need help learning how to control his feelings. He may be having issues with blood sugar or not enough sleep, possibly over stimulation.

Do you give him childrens vitamins. If not I would love to introduce you to some that are very good for children and even help reduce some of those not so good behaviors by giving kids the support they need.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 12:01 AM on Mar. 4, 2010