Online Help

Ok, so long story. DH's lil sis is 14. We will call her 'M'. She recently set up a Myspace without asking anyone. My mother-in-law ('C') knows NOTHING and I mean NOTHING about the internet. M finally did tell C about the page. Well M told me to try to find it and keep an eye on it. A few weeks went by and she was being responsible with it. She had it private, wasn't adding anyone she didn't know. The only thing that I had a problem with was she listed her location in FL (we are in NY) and her age said 19.

Well I got on Monday night and found a crap load of comments on her page. So I started reading them and opened the other person's page to read both sides of it. There are all these comments from this guy telling her that he thinks she's sexy and that he wants to be with her!!

|||see comments below for rest of this|||

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• **cont**

Well I was getting pissed! So I did the whole "forgot your password" and logged into her account. Starting reading the messages and there are a ton of messages saying that she should trust him and if she likes him she would prove it. Well you get the jist...

Well then I find a message asking her if she ever has been sexually active and if he will let him take her virginity!!! WTF!! I started looking at his profile. Now in his messages he says that he is 14. His profile says he is 24. He has pictures on a teenage boy and also pictures of all kinds of weapons!
    Anonymous

• RED FLAG!!
    Anonymous

• tell the mother.
    Anonymous

• Well, needless to say I freaked out!!! I told C to take her cell phone and that she was grounded until further notice. We haven’t had a chance to sit down with her and explain why or anything. I know that she knows it had to do with her Myspace but I don’t think she knows that she did anything wrong.
    I don’t know what to do. C has told me to deal with it and whatever punishment I come up with is what she will back up. Again like I said, we are her second parents so this isn’t anything new.
    I have printed off all of the comments between them as well as all of the messages. I need some advice as to what to say to her.
    I don’t know if what I wanna do is the correct approach…I want to stare the hell outta her by showing her stories of girls that have been molested (or worse) by online predators. Is that too drastic?? What would you do? And if it is scare the hell outta her…got any websites?
    Anonymous

• tell the mother to come over, have your husband there and in front of them call the police over and give the info. That person is solicitating minor sil. Just cuz he says he's a teen doesn't mean he is like it's not true that your sil is 19 when in reality she is a minor child.

14 years old do make babies, we know. can you live with yourself knowing that if you choose to be silent, you might be promoting her into motherhood or rape?
    Anonymous

• The police going through her myspace account will scare the hell out of her far more than her ignoring your websites and articles.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 8:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• hmmm. in my opinion.... id keep a close eye on it and not tell her exactly what you know. also explain the dangers of putting info out there on the internet. it can hurt your future.... jobs, ect. but can also lead to online predators like you stated. let her know that the internet is an open book to everyone, even close family. then id drop it for now. when i was 14, i was doing and saying stupid stuff online. they are in puberty's prime!!!! but at the same time you need to protect her. my kids are still little, and even pbs (the channel with sesame street, barney, ect) says "if its not ok to do or say in person, then it isnt ok to do or say online!" remind her that.
    Anonymous

• I would let the cops figure this out and it will teach her a lesson... They are cops that look at this stuff and show both parties a lesson even if they are both under age they will stop. But if one is way to old then the cops will take care of this...
    mxmtaylor

Answer by mxmtaylor at 11:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• There is a place on Myspace where you can report a profile that you think someone has lied about age etc. Report your SIL's profile and MySpace will remove it! That is the first step....THEN report the other profile!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Mar. 4, 2010