What makes a man?

Why is it that if a male human being is not into sports, or other equally violent and domination oriented activities, they are not considered a man? Do people not realize that this push for boys to take part in these activities is a huge cause for the reason that even though the crime rate has gone down, the rate of men's crimes against women have gone up?

Why is it that if a man is more into something like sculpting, instead of being known as a man, he is called derogatory names? Why does violence in our culture equate to masculinity? Why have we, being supposedly "civilized" not risen above this primitive show of dominance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• What makes a man? A man is someone who is honest, loving, caring, hard working, respectful. Just because a man isn't into sports, or video games, or whatever, he's still a man. A MAN could be into figure skating, ballet, and still be a man.
    Anonymous

• My husband is a sports fanatic and so are many of his friends. They are not abusive. This is really poor logic on your part. It's just how men and boys are. Give a boy a barbie doll to play with and he will treat it like G.I. Joe.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:08 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I agree with Carpy. Watch a little boy out and about playing they will turn anything into a sword and go hiya! lol My husband is into sports especially MMA and he can appreciate art he loves to help me bake. Either way a man is a man by his DNA not by his hobbies.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Do people not realize that this push for boys to take part in these activities is a huge cause for the reason that even though the crime rate has gone down, the rate of men's crimes against women have gone up

Op, who do you hang out with in your life to develop this logic?  I'm curious to know~How do you, op, rationalize the RISING rate of domestic violence where women are the culprit against men? You are trying to lump your warped theory into a rationalization

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Why is it that if a man is more into something like sculpting, instead of being known as a man, he is called derogatory names?

Not sure who you hang out with, but my husband is a HUGE football fan, loves his firearms, and knows more about classical music and certain artists than I. No one calls him names. Have you heard of Keyshawn Johnson? He is a football player turned Interior Designer... Ty Pennington?  If anything, men are embracing art, music, and culture more in 2010.... 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• A man is a male person who does what NEEDS to be done before he does what he WANTS to do. He takes on the responsibility of providing for himself and his family and seeing that their needs are met. I don't see how a person's hobbies determine anything about them, other than what they like to do in their leisure time, what they like to do as a family, and the things that interest them.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Why does violence in our culture equate to masculinity?

What about the studies that point to women being more violent than men?

Women more often the Aggressor

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I don't know what people you know but every man I know and all males I grew up with in school were and are all in to guns action movies and sports. They could never hurt a fly.
    80% of them also have done band and art classes by choice and never were called names.
    Maybe you should get a new group of friends.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• My husband is a big sports fan as well...during football season he watches 2 tv's at once! He also loves the Food Network. This same man is also a big tough military guy.....and he is as gentle as a lamb. My lamb was also in the band, plays piano and can sew on a button. I agree with the others, get new friends!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I look at the persons overall character to determine if they're being a man. To me being Macho doesn't equate being a man. A person can like sports and still be a man. My DH isn't in to sports. Is very laid back person. Not quick to anger. Some ask me if he's ever mad because he never gets worked up. I see the signs but I guess some assume men are supposed to act a certain way.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 12:12 AM on Mar. 4, 2010