Can salmonella be harmful to cats?

My cat was licking raw chicken juice from the cutting board as we were in the middle of eating our dinner. I was planning on cleaning up everything afterwards. But my cat jumped up on the counter, which he never does and decided to lick the raw chicken juices. I'm not sure if I caught him in time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Pets

• I'd try to get him to drink water to help wash it away or eat to get his intestines moving, but don't force water down him or anything. Since all he did was lick and not eat a huge raw chicken I wouldn't worry about anything. It doesn't sound like there was that much contact!!! Call your vet or if he's not open a 24 hour vet even vet school, they might have public service q and a afterhours.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 7:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• if stray cats can live off of eating birds, rats, ect. i think your cat should be fine.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the above...just make sure he's doing every thing else normally (eat , drink, use the litter box etc.,,). If not..let your vet know ...gl
    Anonymous

• Actually, you can feed your cat any of the raw chicken parts that you normally throw out and it would be healthy for him. It's not good to give the organ meat (liver, gizzard, heart) more than two days a week, but things like the neck bone, wings (dark meat is better for cats than white meat), etc. are fine every day. Rabbit meat, venison, occasionally beef are all also fine.

Cats are obligate carnivores and things they dump in cat food are actually bad for them. Wheat, corn ~ grains in general ~ are things that no cat evolved eating. If you feed them raw meat, the bones are a perfect source of vitamins and nutrients. If you cook the meat, don't give him the bones. Cooking makes them brittle and removes most of the good stuff.

Your vet may have a fit, but look up raw diets for cats. Vets are not taught nutrition in school, they tell you what the food reps tell them!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 4, 2010