Does the apartment managment have to warn leasers that a apartment in their building is infested with bed bugs?

the apartment below us have been banging around like they have been tearing the apartment apart. and now a day later my sister found a bed bug in our bathroom. it is so far our first and only...if the apartment below us was infested should they have informed us? and if it is and they are ultimately scarring them up maybe through the plumbing or pipes are they financially responsible??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• In my state if there is a bed bug infestation the health department has to be notified. I think it's the same in most states but I can't be sure so I don't want to miss lead you. Do a Google search about it for your state.

In general, if there are bed bugs in one unit, they're all over the complex and they're very hard to get rid of. Where you find one you'll find an entire colony. I worked in the health and human service field for an agency that provided residential services to disabled individuals. One of our homes had an infestation and it was a complete and total nightmare. I'd move out and get rid of all of your upholstered furniture and mattresses if I found even one.
    Anonymous

• I don't know how you would prove that.
    Anonymous

• IF you are already living there, they do not have to tell you. However, they should, it's just good business.
    IF you are just moving in, they have to tell you if there is an issue with YOUR apartment, and even if your state laws do require them to tell you about problems in other apartments, you would have to go to court to prove they knew, because they can always say they didn't know. In the likelihood that you would go to court, you would have to prove that they knew either with documentation or with a witness, either way you would have to give up your apartment.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Look at your lease and see if they are responsible for pest control. If not, hire a pest control person and get rid of them.
    Anonymous