keeping a clean house

i am at my wits end. i just dont know how to get my house clean and keep it clean. being pregnant and a sahm of 2 kids (4 and 2) i just dont have the energy to clean. but having my house cluttered with toys, dishes, and clothes literally gives me a headache. then seeing people with young kids and clean houses just makes me feel even worse.
am i a bad mom because i cant keep the place clean? a bad housewife?
i kno i shouldnt compare myself to others, but i cant help it.
any organizing tips, cleaning tips, or just supportive words will help me so much. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• No matter how bad your house is, you are not a bad mom. maybe try doing 10 minute pickups every two hours or something and have your kids pitch in, you should teach them to pick up their toys. I do daycare for three kids plus my own, so i know what you mean. I started teaching them to pick up at 16 mo and it really helps when they can help a little. and since you are pregnant and very tired maybe you should talk to your SO for a little bit of help, not much but just a little bit
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 8:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• No, you're normal.
    Anonymous

• I have the same problem. I'm thinking about ditching almost EVERYTHING when I do my spring cleaning this month. That way, there's nothing to make a mess WITH.
    Anonymous

• My only tip is to not let it build up. I have 3 kids and a hubby. My house is pretty darn spotless all the time. Every morning I go through the whole house and straighten or clean depending on what the area needs. It normally only takes 20 minutes or so since I do it every day. I never let dishes pile up. As soon as one gets dirty I wash it. Toys I make sure stay only in the bedroom and they get cleaned up nightly. If you keep it neat it will be so much easier to handle.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 8:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• no, i have 3 little ones (4, 2 and 5mo) and just recently i have been able to start keeping the house clean again. it's really hard when you're pregnant bc you're tired all the time and it's a struggle to take care of the older two kids. when my third was a newborn, things really went downhill. now she is 5 months old and goes to bed around the same time as her older brothers and wakes up around the same time too. i can put her down when she's awake to play with her toys and she is happy while i straighten up after mealtimes or before bedtime. so it does get better..... you won't be living in a pigsty forever :) one thing you can start doing with the older two now that will really help once the baby comes is make them help you pick up toys and clean up their playroom before they go up for bed. i tell my boys it will help them sleep better if the house (and their rooms) are all clean.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• You sound pretty normal to me. Heck, your house is probably spotless compared to mine!

That said...flylady.net is a GREAT method. It works for me very well when I stick with it. My problem is that I always end up letting it slide when things change...which is a monthly occurence here.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Toddlers can help pick up their toys. Clutter will make you more crazy than not dusting the blinds.

Get toy bins-- something clear plastic so you know what is in it, and have the kids do a craft to make their names on fancy paper with paint or glitter or something. Then clear tape the art work onto the bin. And have pick up time every day. They'll like putting things in the bin they made.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I tell ya, my house is cluttered, crumbs are on the floor, toys are everywhere, I have a bottomless pit of dirty dishes in the sink, unfolded clothes everywhere, but I do the best I can. I focus on one room a day, to really get clean, and once the room is done, I focus on tasks for other rooms, then the next day, do another room. I vacuum everyday, do the dishes and laundry everyday, I pick up the toys every night, and once my son is up it gets back to how it looked before I cleaned. But just try not to get too stressed out! I have found the one room focus a good method for me.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Simplify. Keep out a few toys for each child & put the rest away. Rotate them every few weeks.

I figure my house will be clean in about 10 years.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:40 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I have three kids so I know. I set boundries. Keeping my livingroom keeps me sane and not overwhelmed. Baby steps.

Boundries - I keep the kids out of the kitchen and use it for eating only. If they are in the kitchen its supervised or they sit and draw. All toys belong in their room, not the livingroom. (Okay a few) Having toys in their room allows them to use their room and the mess stays in there.

Get organized - I bough bed risers for my kids bed. A $3.00 laundry basket fits right under their bed. Putt a shoe organizer on their door in their room for all sorts of stuff. I have them in every room and bathroomes. Also, I bought a colored laundry basket for each child's clothe ....fold one basket as you need it.

Make it fun - Give them a feather dusters and clean WITH them. Let them spray air freshener and chase them around with the vaccuum. Use a laundry basket to play basketball to pick up those toys.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2010