How can I get my daughter to sleep by herself?

She will not sleep in her own bed. Nor will she fall asleep and stay asleep with out me there. I need help. She is almost a year old and refuses to sleep be her self :(

JuneBugsMom09

Asked by JuneBugsMom09 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put her in the crib, close the door, walk away. She might cry for a while, especially the first night. Don't go back in her room. She will fall asleep. She'll get used to it soon enough.
    Anonymous

• My son was the same way we just had to lay him down and cryim self to sleep and just not put him in bed with us after a week or so he didn't really cry no more
    Mrs.Jolly

Answer by Mrs.Jolly at 9:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• If CIO doesn't work with you (miserable failure here)...check out drjaygordon.com. Search the site for "sleep." EXCELLENT method for transitioning baby to her own bed.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• She wont i've tried letting herself cry herself to sleep. She screamed for 2 hours straight. And this is getting really hard considering we're fixin to be moving into a bigger house with my Boyfriend and she will have her own room.
    JuneBugsMom09

Answer by JuneBugsMom09 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• You have to let her keep crying I know it is really hard, just go in and tell her 'it is ok but you need to go night night." in a firm voice that means you aren't going to give in, she knows that she can cry and get what she wants from you but you need to be firm and just let her know that you will check on her but she has to sleep on her own, this may take a week of screaming for hours but it will stop, you need to do it now before it gets harder.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Maybe put the crib up against the side of your bed, and put the side of the crib down. I know that people do that, they secure it somehow. I'm not sure exactly but I'd bet you can find out if you wanted to like google it or something. I had one that was more like a pack and play which came with straps to secure it to the regular bed.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• ":this may take a week of screaming for hours but it will stop,"

That's why it was a fail here. One week, no improvement. I decided to heed the advice that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. **grin**

If there was ONE method that worked for ALL children, then everyone would use it without argument. But there is no such method. Different things work with different children.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• If she is in a separation anxiety phase CIO will make it worse. Babies that age can fall asleep in whatever room you are in. Find what makes her feel safe and secure.

I cosleep with a crib side car, but I let my 5 month old sleep anywhere in the house.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:18 AM on Mar. 4, 2010