You have an OPTION to get a D&C or to choose to let the miscarriage happen on it's own?

I was just wondering because I've noticed people on here saying they had a u/s, found out the baby had no heartbeat, then were waiting for thir body to abort it naturall, then I've heard people say they chose to not have a D&C. I didn't know there was an option at all. 4 years ago with my first m/c, I found out at the u/s and the Dr. told me that I had to have a D&C that day because a fetus shouldn't stay in any longer after it has passed. If it's true that you have an option, then was he just doing that to milk my Insurance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Health

• i didn't get an option. the doctor wouldn't even let me wait a few days for the weekend. he said it had to come out or i could get a severe infection and die from it....i was 4 month
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• It really depends on how far along a woman is.. A few weeks pregnant can pass fairly easy without complications while a woman that is much farther alone needs a D&C to clean it out..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I was only 2 months.
    I had another m/c this year except it was at home, and there was no problem. It was just like going in to labor, except way too early.
    -OP
    Anonymous

• Yes you always have an option doctors do d&c because it is easier for them, they can give you medicine and allow the miscarriage to occur on its own, it is much much better for the healing of your body to let it occur on its own. truly and d&c should only be done after a natural MC to get anything that might be stuck and cause infection.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• It depends - when I miscarried I was allready bleeding everything out - they took my blood and checked my levels often ( i think it was every week but i dont remember ) - they said if the everything kept coming out on its own and levels went down on their own i didnt have to have a dnc , and if that didnt happen i had to have one, luckily i didnt have to have one
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• My friend was on state insurance and had a miscarriage. They made her go home and labor it out on her own. It took several days before it happened. But that's government run health care for you.... keep the costs down, to hell with the patient. BTW it was the most horrific experience of her life, it was every bit as painful as labor and she had to put the baby in a specimen container and drop it off at the hospital for disposal. 

Anonymous

• If you EVER given the CHOICE.....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take the d&c. I started m/c at 13 weeks and was given the choice to stay or go. I was SO devastated that I left. I was in NO WAY prepared for what was going to happened what I was going to see! The PAIN was excruciating. I ALMOST called 911 because I didnt know it was going to be THAT bad. And JUST as the pain FINALLY eased........there was my baby in the palm of my hand. My perfectly formed baby. omg I just started screaming! I had m/c before at 7 weeks and whet you lose THEN is unrecognizable....I did NOT realize that I would see a baby...small, palm sized tho it was. THAT is something that took my a LOT to get over. After ALL of that 2 days later I got VERY sick and my mom rushed me to the hosp (dh was at work) and I had to have a d&c ANYWAY because everything didnt pass like it was supposed to! I was an emotional wreck for a WHILE!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• My mother was in this situation. She was seven months pregnant when at a sonogram and they found no heartbeat. They sent her home and a few days later the baby came out on his own. There were no other problems. I think you should just do whatever you feel would be easiest on you. I'm sorry that you have to go through this.
    Anonymous

• I would let the baby pass naturally.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Im so sorry you have to go through this and honestly, after the many experiences I have had...I think you are better off having the D&C. For one you will have proffesionals there to be sure everything goes the way it should. That everything passes and that you are not alone. If even the smallest amount of tissue stays inside it could cause a severe infection and if not monitored it could be extremely serious. I would hate to see you alone when it happens naturally, no matter what you think is going to happen you can not prepare yourself and chances are you will end up having to call someone or go in anyway. Its very hard emotionally most of the time. ( again...you should not be alone)I wish you te best, Ive been through alot when it comes to this category, I also have had 5 beautiful children, one of which I just lost recently to an accidental shooting at 17. Life is hard but be brave, you are stronger than you know,God Bless
    mxmomma05

Answer by mxmomma05 at 2:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2010