Trying to transition to rice cereal how much to start out with?

Ok I know rice cereal is the first step to starting your baby on solids. But how much should I give her and how? Some people say put it in a bottle others say that is a choking hazard. Please help I have no clue how to start and the baby books dont go in depth on this.

Tat_9280

Asked by Tat_9280 at 9:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't put it in a bottle the point of rice cereal and baby foods are for them to learn how to eat solids from a spoon, I would do 2 tablespoons, and don't worry about it if she doesn't eat it all she will spit most of it out. Just takes patience and time.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Nurse first. Offer the solids on a spoon immediately after. Whatever baby takes is DANDY. You're not transitioning to solids. Breastmilk or formula (you're in the breastfeeding moms grou so I'm guessing you're breastfeeding) is still the main meal and will be all the way to one year. SOlids are only to teach baby other textures.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Never in a bottle. Always after nursing or a bottle. Preferably after 6 mos or more. Not needed. If you want to use it, that's ok, but if you don't want to, you can just start off with some purreed fruits or veggies. Soft, small finger foods if a little older. If you DO use it, just mix a small amount with a little breastmilk, formula or water, until it's sort of runny, and offer the spoon. If your LO is ready, they'll take it. If they don't want it, you can wait a little and offer again or offer something different.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• You can skip cereal altogether. It can be constipating and frankly tastes horrid. Go direct to table food. food before one is just for fun,
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:01 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Skip it.. Child doesnt need it, and i dont see any nutritional value in it... If your going to start solids do it after 6 months and with real food mashed up not cereal.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 1:59 AM on Mar. 4, 2010