Do you feel weak?

LORD PROP US UP...

Every time I am asked to pray, I think of the old fellow who always prayed, “Lord, prop us up on our leanin' side.” After hearing him pray that prayer many times, someone asked him why he prayed that prayer so fervently.

He answered, “Well sir, you see, it's like this...I got an old barn out back. It's been there a long time; it's withstood a lot of weather; it's gone through a lot of storms, and it's stood for many years.

It's still standing. But one day I noticed it was leaning to one side a bit.

So I went and got some pine poles and propped it up on its leaning side so it wouldn't fall.

Then I got to thinking about that and how much I was like that old barn. I've been around a long time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• All I can say is "Amen"
    Anonymous

• I've withstood a lot of life's storms. I've withstood a lot of bad weather in life, I've withstood a lot of hard times, and I'm still standing too. But I find myself leaning to one side from time to time, so I like to ask the Lord to prop us up on our leaning side, 'cause I figure a lot of us get to leaning at times.”

Sometimes we get to leaning toward anger, leaning toward bitterness leaning toward hatred, leaning toward cussing, leaning toward a lot of things that we shouldn't. So we need to pray, “Lord, prop us up on our leaning side, so we will stand straight and tall again, to glorify the Lord.''

Anonymous

•  

Anonymous

• Did you look closely at the barn?
    Anonymous

• sound like what I pray for -strength and guidance to handle what comes my way.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• in our weakness He is strong. Thats a good post :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• That's the best laugh I've had today. Christians DO believe the funniest things!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Why not actually repair the barn, instead of just giving it a "crutch" to lean on? I mean, your little parable here is very pretty on the surface, but the integral structure of the barn is still damaged and needs actual repair, not just a "make-do" to get by. Same goes for your analogy. I've seen a lot of christians who do that -- "lean" on god, get through things "with god" make amends with "god" -- while the real people they wrong are left wronged. Why? Because it's all "right with god" so that part doesn't matter. This is not why I'm atheist, but it never fails to make me very glad I'm not a christian. There is a lot to be said for a religion that promotes honesty and "truth" in its words, and promotes covering things with facades and props with its actions. But none of it is good.

What's wrong with actually doing something and repairing the damage? Why not ask god to help you do that?

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 1:12 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• ^^^^^ Disclaimer::: I won't say all christians support board rot and foundation weakness of the soul. Just the ones I know::::
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 1:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• GOD IS NOT WEAK YOU ARE! HE CAN HELP YOU IF YOU CAN ADMIT YOU NEED HIM TO DO SUPERNATURAL THINGS FOR YOU IN YOUR LIFE AND HAVE HIS FAVOUR OF BLESSINGS. WAIT ON HIM TO RENEW YOUR STRENGTH,FLY LIKE AN EAGLE ON THE SHADOW OF HIS WINGS! THIS IS AN EXPIERIENCE AN ATHIEST WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO HAVE! JESUS SAVES FROM SICKNESS,BODY MIND AND SOUL!AWESOME GOD OF THE UNIVERSE!HELL IS THE BIGGEST DEBT WE NEVER HAVE TO PAY!AMEN

mommymadness30

Answer by mommymadness30 at 3:00 AM on Mar. 5, 2010