horse mamas - cheap saddles on ebay question

i was wondering about the cheap saddles on ebay , and yes i know they are cheap and you get what you pay for , but im just wondering if they are worth the cheap price to begin with .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Pets

• I agree with you when you say you get what you pay for...and a cheap saddle would make me worry about both the rider's and horse's comfort...just my 2 cents.
    Anonymous

• I bought our very first saddle on ebay from a store somewhere in FL, we still have it and it turned out to be a great saddle. Right now though, I would be very careful on ebay things aren't what they seem anymore on that site. But, if that's your route just be sure to ask for a photo of the makers mark if possible from the seller to make sure it wasn't made in mexico. Mexican made saddles tend to fall apart once they get wet. I think we paid like a hundred bucks and it was brand new. But, our best deals came from tack sales and auctions. If you have access to a local livestock auction, they tend to sell tack and equipment the first hour before livestock comes to the block.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:00 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• What are you looking to use it for? I mean, do you ride daily, your children? etc... fill me in and I can better help you! : )
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• i really only want this saddle for showing .. maybe 10-15 times a year max .
    Anonymous

• A show saddle is really something you save up for... besides... you don't want to change your saddle just for a show. It's really best to ride in whatever saddle you will be showing in a fair amount so it doesn't feel strange to you or your horse the day of the show.

IME, with saddles (or anything else horse-related), you get what you pay for. I am ALWAYS hesitant to buy the cheap cardboard crap on ebay... I once bought a pretty but cheap bridle to use as a show bridle and a rein literally snapped as I was going into the ring. It could have been a serious safety issue but luckily I was only walking and was on a quiet horse. You are far better off to find something used... try your local tack stores to see if they do consignment, or try craigslist. Ebay can be fine if look for good quality, name-brand tack that's used, and from a seller with lots of good feedback.

Good luck :)
    coffee.crisp

Answer by coffee.crisp at 7:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2010