How to get my son to eat.

How can I get my son to eat real food? All he wants are cookies and chips. He is only 3. After daycare he won't eat.

balancingmother

Asked by balancingmother at 9:59 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• either stop buying cookies and chips or put them where he can't see them. Only offer him what you want him to eat. He'll eat it or he won't.
    Anonymous

• Don't buy the crap - if it's not in the house, he can't eat it. Only buy & prepare good healthy foods. If he doesn't have a choice he'll eat what's put in front of him. He won't starve himself. But the key is to not buy the junk food - by buying it you're enabling him. Replace it with fresh fruits & veggies, and other healthy foods.
    Anonymous

• Stop buying junk food. Only offer healthy food. He will get hungry and eat what you offer.
    Anonymous

• First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated. Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs. Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually he will start eating them. Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers. I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg. Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:07 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods

Answer by rkoloms at 7:08 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• he does it, because you allow him to do it, don't buy that stuff, good eating habits start when they are young, my son would not drink water at all, then i decided for every meal, we would drink water, including hubby and i, he now loves water, lead by example.
    mghtymffn

Answer by mghtymffn at 10:54 AM on Mar. 4, 2010