How do you handle financial stress?

I am a SAHM but have always worked part time. Right now I am finishing up a teaching degree so I am student teaching 40 hrs./week and not working my part-time job until this is over. I miss my kids terribly all day long! And I get angry that I am not even making any money for the family while I am away. We have so much $$ stress and EVERY time it starts to look better things happen....for example our city just implemented a local income tax. WTF? I am so stressed and discouraged. I refuse to give up taking care of my boys because of everyone has decided to send us new bills on a whim. So, how do I handle this? We are cutting out cell phones, gymboree, maybe cable too. I never buy clothes or anything for myself, neither does my husband. How do we stick to our guns when the whole world has done $$ crazy??

trissam

Asked by trissam at 10:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• If you can hang in there and remember it is only till you graduate you might feel better. Financial stress will come and go throughout your entire life. (I'm not sure why you would say 'maybe cable' that would be top of my list, it's a luxury that you don't even get any tangible thing out of- it's radio waves) Sit down with your hubby grab some paper l 1st column is everything that HAS to happen -insurance, mortgage, regualr prescriptions,bills., second column is your income. Deduct column 1 from column 2. Put that $ amount at the top of column 3 - everything that can be negotiated. Your food goes here - you can either spend $40 and live on baked beans and rice or $200 and have the yummy stuff but it can be varied, kids sport, any entertainment incl. cable, now you can clearly see what you can spend and it is up to you how you choose to divide it out. If it is a choice between meat on the table or cable TV......?
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 10:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2010