Shoes?

My 1 year old wont ware shoes. He screams non stop until they are off, and wont even try to stand, or walk in them.
He is just starting to walk on his own. When he was younger he always whore something on his feet, but now he only lets us put on vary light leather slippers. They have no support or structure to them. Is it okay for him to only ware these? Or should I make him get used to normal ones?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I remember reading that babies should only wear soft-soled shoes while they are learning to walk, I would think just his slippers would be fine. My daughter is 15 months and she has a pair of soft-soled tennis shoes that look like Converse, I usually put those on her when we go out, but at home she just goes around in her socks, or a pair of slippers if it's chilly.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 10:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• no let him wear those. he doesnt need shoes and he is just getting use to walking. when he is ready for shoes, stride rite has some great ones that offer support, but are close to the feeling of being barefoot. they have different stages. check online. a person at a stride rite will help you. otherwise i suggest going to nordstrom. good luck!
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• those shoes should be fine :) my son absolutely HATED to wear shoes up until he was about 13 months old. He is now 14 months old and will only wear them if I tell him we are gonna go bye bye. I tell him mommy and daddy are putting there shoes on and you have to put yours on too if you want to go bye bye. Its really cute cuz he will even go get his shoes for me and put his feet up for me to put them on. Just keep working on it....I also had to put a size bigger on him for a while too. We recently just got a pair of shoes that are in his size that he will wear. Good luck :)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• my son NEVER wore shoes until after he mastered walking. Then we started with converse and only now (this last winter he needed real boots to wander around) does he wear "stiffer" shoes.
    Also, they have at target now these sock looking things with rubber soles...I wish they had them months ago but they look awesome!
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:24 AM on Mar. 4, 2010